Neck pocket depth / Fender Roasted Maple

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mfp454, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Mfp454

Mfp454 TDPRI Member

Hello, newbie, first build. Made the body myself, neck pocket is 5/8” deep, purchased a brand new fender roasted maple neck and the neck appears to be 1/8” too high. Everything I see states pocket depth should be. 5/8. Seems odd that I have to make the pocket deeper ?

2. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Hi, welcome! Yes, 5/8" is standard pocket depth for a 1" thick neck, so measurements and/or pictures would help if there's a problem.

Skydog1010 and Tonetele like this.
  3. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Can you describe in more detail or post pics? Do you mean that there is a 1/8” gap between the bottom edge of the fretboard at the 22nd fret that overhangs the body?

4. Mfp454

Mfp454 TDPRI Member

I will add a photo, I have close to 1/8 between pickguard and 22 feet overhang. Thanks

5. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

That gap between the overhang and the pickguard is probably just fine. The real determining factor is not the height above the pickguard, but whether you can string it up and get decent action from the saddles/bridge. Have you tried to assemble everything to check how it plays?

I know its a weird visual, but this happens with fretboard overhangs a lot.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Please do not try to make the neck pocket deeper. I did that once and getting consistency is a real PITA. Instead take 1/8" off that part of the neck. I've been there and lost the body as a result.

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Is the neck an Allparts neck or Warmoth? If the body is standard fender depth it should be fine. It would help to check it against another Fender tele. I have a WD fender replacement neck here that's a little thicker and wider than standard fender or Allparts etc. I think it was intended for a Fender Japan strat that may have a deeper wider pocket? I scribed and notched a piece out of the side to fit it in a fender neck pocket and it works fine. Ruined the look of the neck though when out of the pocket but it was only a $100 buck neck and needed to be modified to fit in any standard fender body.
    As compensation I did gain a little wiggle room on the high e string.

I would check that body out and modify the body to suit the neck if things are out.
    No point in rendering the neck useless in any other standard spec body.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like a total mismatch between the neck and neck pocket. Sometimes cheaper options like WD and Mighty Mite fit better.
    One eighth of an inch is seriously too high and will affect all the set up all the way down the line. I suggest sending it back and getting a basic Stewmac Mighty Mite neck- they have NEVER failed me. Also you can get them with 21 frets, no fooling around with pickguards and replacement pickups, they also fit like a glove. You can get them in genuine 21 frets. I prefer the modern C shape and many of my buyers like that too- even a mm off. Do you really NEED a roasted Maple neck?
    After twenty years of building I think you'll get a high action as a result. JMHO

9. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

10. Tullecaster

Tullecaster TDPRI Member

On my builds I take the pocket down to 5/8" and then I take it ever so slightly a little deeper (.040" - .045" which is about the width of a piece of card stock). This allows you to set your saddles lower and gives a bit slinkier feel that folks seem to appreciate. Use height adjustable tuners so you can skip the string trees and you have a really nice feeling guitar up and down the neck. Taking the neck pocket down a hair with a router and a template is easier than trying to sand the bottom of your neck. REmoving that much material from the bottom of the neck while keeping it perfectly flat is easier said than done in my experience. You will run into additional issues if the bottom of the neck is not perfectly flat. Any little cant at the pocket will be even worse at the nut.

I would also make sure that there are not any burrs or extra wood in the pocket of the body that are keeping you from seating the neck all the way into the pocket. Good luck.

11. Mfp454

Mfp454 TDPRI Member

Photos , neck purchased directly from fender , body is home made
    Thanks
    Mike

Attached Files:

12. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Can you set it up to play the way you want it to? If so, just leave everything alone. You definitely don't want to get the neck pocket too deep, or you may just have to shim it again. Plus, if it's too deep, your saddles can bottom out against the bridge plate without any room to make the action lower.

13. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Looks ok to me

14. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

Seems fine to me too. Any lower and the side dot would be partially covered by the pickguard.

15. Mfp454

Mfp454 TDPRI Member

Saddles are maxed out high, and strings buzzing, too low not playable

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I cropped a few pics of that area to compare.......all stock fenders..

83 tele pg1.jpg

beckster pg1.jpg

black on black  tele pg1.jpg

17. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

there is no problems with your components.... the neck should be right at 1 inch thick at the crown of the radius to the back of the heel... that would normally make for 3/8ths above the body excluding the pickguard.. looks like yours is dead on perfect..

put it together, tune it up and rock on..

rk

rangercaster likes this.
  18. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Listen to Ron ... He knows ... Good luck with your build !!!

19. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

So you're saying that even with the saddles as high as they can go, the action is too low? A 5/8" deep neck pocket is totally standard, which makes me think that the neck is too thick. But if it's purchased directly from Fender, it's not, which makes me think there's something else going on with the setup.

20. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Is body flat?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.