Neck pickup tilt on Road Worn Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by blues, Oct 16, 2019.

1. blues

blues Tele-Meister

I have had a few Tele's but I never saw this before. This is from Sweetwater. I even had it set up by them. I don't understand how this got out of the door.

They said they would take it back. This guitar is a replacment from one that had a neck issue that they already acknowldged.

The wire under the pickup is not causing the tilt. I think if I put a shim under the back to the pickup it would level it out. But it would not fit right with the pickguard on.

I thought the pickguard was causing the tilt. But it's not. I would like to get some thoughts on this.

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

Why wouldn't it fit right with the pickguard on?

3. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Looks like mounting holes are drilled too far forward, and not perpendicular to the body...so when you try and stick a shim underneath the pickup, it tilts it toward the neck, causing the pickup to not line up with the pickguard.

Plugging and redrilling the holes is easy enough. A good tech could fix this in about 5 minutes and probably not charge you anything, but I don't blame you for not wanting to d**k around with a brand new guitar.

Or live with it. You're talking about gaining an extra 32nd of an inch or so of string clearance if the pickup was mounted straighter...pretty negligible. But again, I get that little things like this can be annoying..

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  4. blues

blues Tele-Meister

Thanks, Oh ok. So the holes are currently on a very slight angle. I would need to fill in the holes and re-drill.

If I would put a shim under the pickup I would have to file a little out if the pickup hole in the pickguard.

Sweetwater said they would pay to have it done. I'm over an hour away from any tech.

I will probably wait till I change the strings to fix it up. I'm a machinest by trade so I think I can handle it.

5. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Been there, done that. Anyone got any tips for positioning the pickup before fitting the screws, so that it lines up correctly with the cut out in the pickguard? I'm thinking I'll use a pickguard drilled for pickup mounting screws as a guide to make a template.

6. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

I think it has more to do with the holes not drilled in the correct place.

I wouldn't modify the pickguard. You'll wind up with a hole that's too big, and it won't look right.

-Plug the holes in the body
    -Insert the pickup (with screws installed) into the pickguard and tape it into place
    -Align the pickguard
    -Push gently on the pickup so that the screws mark the body
    -Use the marks as guides to redrill.

Use a drill press if you can.

WingedWords and blues like this.
  7. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've had a couple of those over the years and figured out that making it straight/level doesn't affect the sound and that most people never notice it. Not correct for sure but if you like everything else about the guitar just look at it as a mark of character.

nojazzhere, GuitarKid and 383roller like this.
  8. blues

blues Tele-Meister

Thanks again. I have a drill press.

Btw I had no planes the send it back. It sound and plays very good. I think what put me off the most was this was the second guitar.

MickM likes this.
  9. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

sometime the wire off the pickups get in the way ore are to stiff.

10. blues

blues Tele-Meister

That was the first thing I checked.

11. blues

blues Tele-Meister

I got 10% off after I talked to them today.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.