Neck pickup template for mini humbucker route

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Jason Hutchinson, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Jason Hutchinson

Jason Hutchinson TDPRI Member

This is an odd request, but someone may have run across this.. I have a USA 52 Telecaster Hot Rod body. The neck pickup is routed for a pickguard mounted mini humbucker. I actually have the pickguard and a Seymour Duncan pickup, but I'm going with a traditional Tele pickup instead. I have a 5 hole bakelite pickguard for it, and a '52 pickup as well.

The problem is that the neck pickup needs to be mounted to the body, like a vintage Tele. But I have not been able to find any information on where to mount it. I would prefer to use a template that can be put inside of the route that has the exact locations for the screw holes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

If you have another pickguard with the holes for a tele neck pickup, you can use that for your template to either drill the holes to mount the pickup to the body, or drill holes in your new pickguard.

3. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I prefer standard tele neck pickups to be attached to the pickguard. much easier to do that than to attach to the body.

4. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have 2 teles with the neck pickup mounted to the body instead of the pickguard. For one of them I made a template but the second time around I just did it this way:
    - put a glob of mounting putty in the bottom of the cavity,
    - hold the pickup temporarily in place in the pickguard with some tape
    - position the pickguard (with the pickup taped to it) so it matches up with the body contour/screw holes etc
    - when you get it where it belongs, push down on the pickup so it sticks to the putty instead of the tape on the pickguard
    - pull the pickguard off leaving the pickup stuck to the putty
    - mark where the screw holes go using the screw holes in the pickup
    - viola!

Here's a link to the putty I'm talking about
    (https://www.scotchbrand.com/3M/en_U...=4335+3294529207+3294602205+3294857497&rt=rud

Good luck, have fun!

guitarbuilder likes this.
  5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

I'd put some double sided tape foam or use some double sided tape in the cavity. I'd stick the regular neck pickup in the traditional pickguard and set them into place. Carefully lifting the pick guard while holding the pickup still should leave the pickup stuck inside the body. Then you can take a thin icepick like tool to mark where the holes go through the pickup mounting holes.

John Owen likes this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

What @sleazy pot pie said. Keep the drill perpendicular to the pickguard and be careful with the depth of the hole. I just converted a James Burton Standard Tele from pickguard mounting to body mounting for the neck pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.