Neck pickup recommendation

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by mj6thbuif, Dec 12, 2017.

1. mj6thbuif

mj6thbuif Tele-Meister

Hoping to replace the neck pickup on my CV50 with something brighter, clearer, and a tiny bit hotter. Bright and clear are the most important requirements. Not really interested in boutique pups. Something from SD or DiMarzio would probably do. Any recommendations? Thx

2. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

DiMarzio Twang-King would be the go-to pup. Costlier but my fave would be a Lollar Royal-T, or any number of flat pole strat pickups. Depends on whether or not you gotta have a chrome cover.

3. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Big, clear, and hot...doesn't the neck cavity come routed to hold a P-90?

mj6thbuif likes this.
  4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

5. mj6thbuif

mj6thbuif Tele-Meister

Yes but am hoping to stick with something familiar. I mainly just want brighter/clearer. Not anything significantly different. My main complaint is that the stock neck is muddier and much duller compared to the bridge pickup.

6. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

I like the Cavalier Lion King. It's clear and bright. Sounds like a neck pu should. Not very pricey either.

SnidelyWhiplash and SPUDCASTER like this.
  7. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Cavalier Pickups... Talk to, or message Rob DeStefano.. He is THE member to go to here, as his rep is stellar and he is a member of this forum.. And he is very good and very reasonable..

gobi_grey and SPUDCASTER like this.
  8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

First use your existing pickup and find a higher kohm volume pot (measure the existing one and find one at the higher end of the spec or jump up to 500k if you have 250k nominal installed) and/or put a 0.047uF cap in series with the pickup's hot lead. These mods will brighten what you've got and maybe avoid the pickup swap.

If you continue on the pickup swap, the Bill Lawrence Wild Keystone pickups are nice, and he tended to like brighter pickup sets.

swany likes this.
  10. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

A good while back I picked up a Fender Classic Series '60s Tele neck pickup based on recommendations from this forum and I wasn't disappointed. It's a good one; paired it with a 62 AVRI bridge pickup.

11. swany

swany Tele-Meister

One of the best neck pickups I've ever had was the stock neck pickup that came in my 2004 '52 AVRI,
    it had a near perfect clean tone. It reminded me of the tone I would get from the neck on the 335, musical but a bit acoustic.

12. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for the Twang King, a friend has one in his Tele, sounds nice in terms of clear.

I used a Dimarzio Tele neck pup, I think it was one of the Virtual Vintage models, and it was uncovered. It was a bit of an eye opener in terms of clear. I believe the successor is the Area model, but I have no idea on how that sounds.

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

14. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

+1 on Wilde Keystone or Cavalier (sounds like you would like the Lioness). I have the Lion King and love it. But the Lioness might be a little brighter and clearer. Talk to Rob. He'll steer you right.

swany likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.