Neck pickup plate ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Vondre, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Vondre

Vondre TDPRI Member

Has anyone installed one of these instead of a pick guard ? Looking into one for a new body I recently got from Nomoonlaser. If you could post a pic that would be awesome!

Vintage Forge Chrome Metal Single Coil Pickup Mounting Ring for Fender Stratocaster Strat Guitar PRS10-CHR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P2SJHYL/?tag=tdpri-20

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think it may work ...

Looks fine to me ....

I don't mod my geetars ...

3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I did it on a barncaster I gave to a friend. Someone else had already put a Strat pickup in using one. I switched the pickups to a set of OC Duff Guardman. My friend loved it and still has it to this day. I much prefer a body-mounted neck pickup, with or without a guard, these days...though some people feel these pickup rings provide a cleaner look.

4. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Why? Customizing your guitar, especially when you're buying parts or mid-tier ones, is the cat's meow. You can take a guitar to the next level by adding proper potentiometers, better pickups, better looking pickguard that compliments the guitar bette, locking tuners to make changing strings a breeze, etc. None of my fenders are stock, far from it actually, in my eyes they are in much better instrument than how they started.

YMMV.
    GDR

fender4life likes this.
  5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I've seen some teles sans pickguard with the neck pickup mounting ring, some I liked, some, not so much. Can't really explain why it works for me on some but not others. Maybe it has to do with the wood grains of the body, or the color.

Out of my five teles, the only one that's PG-less has no mounting ring. I really, really like it.

[​IMG]

gregulator450, Treynor and Vondre like this.
  6. Vondre

Vondre TDPRI Member

Yeah. I like the bare look too but the body I have has the cutout for the truss rod adjustment so I'm not quite sure how that will look bare. It's just interesting I can't find any pictures of a tele with these neck pickup rings.

7. Vondre

Vondre TDPRI Member

Came out pretty good I think IMG_20200916_182008.jpg

gregulator450, LGOberean and Treynor like this.
  8. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

this looks so neat-tell me about it. Pine body? did you build it or buy the body?
    I really like this.
    thanks
    d

Bloobeastie likes this.
  9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Daryl, thanks. Yeah, I like it. :) As for your questions...

No I did not build it. Bob Logan of Logan Custom Guitars built it for me last summer. I mentioned earlier that I have 5 teles, and all of them were built by Bob. The last two of the five (see my avatar pic) are really unique, and I have a very personal connection to.

I've lost count of the times I've told the story of this guitar/those two guitars here on TDPRI. Sometimes I worry that people are tired of hearing it and/or tired of me talking about Logan Customs. But of course I love my Logan Custom guitars so I don't mind answering your questions.

I custom ordered my first Logan Custom tele style in 2008. I bought another one in 2009. Then, in 2010, we had a house fire. Our house, started in 1935 and completed in 1936, was built for a family member. We moved in around 1990, and are just the second owners.

The house is small cottage style home, and the walls, both interior and exterior, were of shiplap construction, made of old growth, construction grade planks of Longleaf Pine. In the demolition process after the fire (our roof was a total loss, with damage elsewhere), that Longleaf Pine was plenteous. I salvaged as much as I could, and repurposed much of it into the rebuild (our attic flooring is made of that salvaged LLP).

But I also sent a bunch of it to Bob Logan, and thus far I've got two teles out of it: my "Firecasters" (of course I had to call them that). Here's a closer look at that avatar pic. (I'm a lousy photographer, but this will give a bit more detail than you can make out in that avatar.)

[​IMG]

The first one on the left was built using salvaged Douglas Fir from roofing joists for the body core, with the top employing planks of that LLP. BTW, both guitars are chambered. So the walnut tint kind of brought together the two different species of wood. That was my Christmas guitar in 2012.

Then last year, I decided to custom order another "Firecaster" from Bob. This time, I wanted to go natural. (Both guitars have a nitrocellulose lacquer finish, with no grain fillers, which is Bob's standard procedure.) And when I saw the bookmatched planks for the top and back veneers...

06-05-2019 - LLP planks for Firecaster II - 1.jpg
    [​IMG]
    ...I decided that I didn't want a pickguard on it. I wanted as much of that wood grain as possible to show. I even asked for a rear mounted control plate, for the same reason.

Okay, specs. The neck is a 1-piece maple neck with the skunk stripe, Medium C profile, 9.5" radius, medium jumbo frets. The tuners are Kluson style vintage split shaft. The chambered body core is basswood stained walnut, providing something of a complementary contrast to the lighter, amber-ish hues of the pine.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pickups are DiMarzio Twang Kings. The bridge plate is Bob Logan's stainless steel plate with a straight alignment for the bridge pickup and brass compensated saddles. It has a 4-way switch (Bridge, both in parallel, neck, both in series).

I have a YouTube channel, and made a demo/review vid for this Firecaster II. It's nothing fancy, just me in my living room with my iPhone set up across the room from me. But it can give you an idea of what it sounds like. It's plugged into one of my VOX Pathfinder 15Rs. Oh, and the story I just told is detailed in the video, and I kinda got long-winded about it (both in the video and this posted comment, I guess :oops:). If you want to skip the talking, got to about 9:45.

10. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

thank you Larry, and thank you for the video and story, that's all so neat. I really like this design/look and will research into the builder.

thank you again
    d

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.