Neck Pickup mounting screw touching pickup cover... is it ok?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Db145, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Db145

Db145 TDPRI Member

Hi all,

Trying to install 4-way switch in my 2003 squier tele standard and found that one of the neck pickup screws (body mounted btw) is totally stripped. I have another wood screw that fits but the head is bigger than the original and contacts the pickup cover (original is black, new is metal color in photo).

Questions: is this ok? Any negative effects?

I could not find original screw at local hardware stores and can’t find any online venders of this screw.

B46905C1-912F-45D5-A532-F010D411CFDA.jpeg

2. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

You're mounting this direct to the body cavity, and it appears that you have 3 leads, one of which should be a separate cover ground. So... if the screw is touching the cover, it is part of the cover ground and you should be fine!

3. Db145

Db145 TDPRI Member

That's great to hear, because what I thought was a simple job continued to get more and more complicated (and expensive) as I went on. I'm just ready to finish this and play! and yes the 3rd wire was added as a separate ground for the cover as this modification was required for the 4-way switch. Thank you very much for the response!

4. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Neck pickup mounting screws are usually 1 inch long number 4 round head wood screws.

5. Db145

Db145 TDPRI Member

Maybe my tele is a bit odd because it’s an “older” import? or the previous owner just tinkered with it but the screw was different from that spec which I’ve seen around the forums. I had compared it to #4 screws at Home Depot and it didn’t match the thread. Also, these were 1-1/4” long; possibly cause of the deep humbucker route in neck position? Either way I did make due with a 1” wood screw (except for the larger head) which I purchased from a music equipment store specifically to pickguard mount the neck p/u with this issue in mind but I couldn’t figure out how to do it. The hole in the pickup for the screws was too big and the p/u would slip right off the screws. Maybe I over looked a component here that retains the p/u?

6. Db145

Db145 TDPRI Member

After all that text I forgot to thank you for your reply

Thank you the info/response is appreciated!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.