1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Neck pick only - using 3-way switch for tone options

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jockster, Jun 2, 2018.

1. jockster

jockster NEW MEMBER!

Hi,

First post so be kind....

I have a tele copy (Vintage V2) that I got really cheap (£50). I play only jazz and have a Lollar Charlie Christian neck pickup and the bridge pickup that came with the guitar. I never (ever) use the bridge and hence the 3-way switch is redundant..

I really like the warm jazz tone of the Lollar CC.

My question is has anyone done a mod where they use the 3-way to select different variations of capacitors/resistors etc. to give a slightly wider range of tones (but obviously still keeping the warm-jazz tone of the CC).

I can solder/sort electrics so do not mind a bit of trial-error and tinkering,

Many thanks for any help you can suggest, cheers, Simon

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Look up Telecaster Esquire. Just adapt it to the neck pickup.

8barlouie likes this.
  3. jockster

jockster NEW MEMBER!

Many thanks for this Zepfan, much appreciated.

Do you think it would be possible (or sensible) to replace tone control with a rotary switch and have a combination of capacitor(+resistor) values connected to the rotary switch?

Many thanks, Simon

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The standard Esquire wiring gives you the choice of Volume only, Volume/Tone/.047 cap and Volume/Tone with a different cap.

There's many different ways of doing it though and you could use a concentric volume/tone pot(2 pots stacked into 1) in place of the volume pot and use the other position for a rotary switch, bass contour circuit or just about anything you can dream up.

The thing with a lot of choices/mods is, you'll probably only like and use a couple. You have to try them to find out which ones you like first though. Have fun trying things out and you can always revert back to what you need or to original later.

5. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

As far as caps go the easiest way to try them is to buy a bunch of values and try them out as in this video. If you find a few usable values then you can wire them up with the three way switch.

6. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I would really be thinking about changing your bridge pup instead.

7. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

8. Inglese

Inglese Tele-Meister

Check out this experiment of mine.
    I'm a Tele neck pu lover, too.

https://m.facebook.com/englisheffects/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1002683213214322&mt_nav=1&ref=page_internal&__xts__[0]=33.{"logging_data"%3A%7B"event_type"%3A"tapped_open_page_album"%2C"impression_info"%3A"eyJmIjp7InBhZ2VfaWQiOiIyOTc4ODk1MzM2OTM2OTciLCJpdGVtX2NvdW50IjoiMCJ9fQ"%2C"surface"%3A"mobile_page_photos_tab"%2C"interacted_story_type"%3A"148947852156832"%2C"session_id"%3A"8c0534b4c1b9f2dc3f42bbd55da7ec9d"%7D%7D

mmm does not look ok...

Here
    https://www.facebook.com/englisheffects
    And look for MJTE Photo album.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.