Neck overhanging pocket on cutaway side. Thoughts?

Benny Mack

TDPRI Member
Didn’t realise the neck and body aren’t factory pair. Maybe they’re both perfect with they’re original partners?
I had considered this too, but both the pocket on the body and the heel of the neck are to fender spec in terms of width. My other tele is a Fender Classic 50s lacquer and I popped that neck on just to check, and it's the same issue. It looks like the size of the heel/pocket "shelf" area of body is just routed strangely there on the cutaway size. For a factory neck to match it I believe it would also have to also be shaped differently. Maybe the Road Worn 50s necks have a different heel shape (?)--I don't have one to check unfortunately--but that would seem strange to me.

Thanks everyone for your input on this thread. I'm hoping for the same happy ending you describe @Beebe

Medeltids

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I know some people would recommend sanding the neck down to match the body, I wouldn’t do that. You may want to use the neck on a different body at some point in the future. In such case, you’d be hosed.
Put it together, if the strings go straight down the fretboard and get to the bridge in a decent fashion hovering politely over the appropriate location on your pickups, I’d say...PLAY!

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Wont hurt a thing as long as the strings are aligned over the fretboard edges.

If it is an unfinished neck I would taper or round the neck edge to match it to the pocket for aesthetic purposes. Every once in a while I get someone requesting a wider neck heal for more edge spacing without a narrow bridge. Just transition it to the pocket an all is well.

xtrajerry

Doctor of Teleocity
I had considered this too, but both the pocket on the body and the heel of the neck are to fender spec in terms of width. My other tele is a Fender Classic 50s lacquer and I popped that neck on just to check, and it's the same issue. It looks like the size of the heel/pocket "shelf" area of body is just routed strangely there on the cutaway size. For a factory neck to match it I believe it would also have to also be shaped differently. Maybe the Road Worn 50s necks have a different heel shape (?)--I don't have one to check unfortunately--but that would seem strange to me.

Thanks everyone for your input on this thread. I'm hoping for the same happy ending you describe @Beebe
American and Mexican have slightly different specs, string it up and enjoy.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
It's a strange one, I've never seen that before either.

But yep, if everything lines up OK then I'd say it's a just a 'cosmetic' issue.

How much time are you going to spend up the 'dusty end' of the neck anyway? ;)

And Welcome, by the way. :)

Benny Mack

TDPRI Member
Thanks all for the input and recommendations. In keeping with what many have said, I'm not overly worried about this at all, but just found it quite strange and something I hadn't seen before. It's reassuring at least to have my thoughts confirmed by those who have seen more than their fare share of teles that it's indeed unusual. I'd considered that the spec differences between a Mexican body and American neck might account for some of the odd fit, but I did swap my MIM Classic 50s lacquer neck onto it (which I'd imagine is similar vintage spec to the recent road worns) and the heel still hung way out. After some more careful measurements the routing of the pocket is definitely the culprit.

In any event, it will play just fine, and I decided to go the route of tapering the neck slightly to get better (but admittedly still not perfect) alignment for aesthetics. I wouldn't do that to a pristine neck but this one's already devalued after a complete strip of the poly and a nitro refinish. Once it's cured and set-up I'll post pics of this strange creation!

JJStrummrr

TDPRI Member
Thanks y'all. Yeah I'm function > fashion so it doesn't really *bother* me, but I was really more curious as this seems to be a bit unusual (I think?), especially considering how much I see folks chatting about extra space on the body/pocket. It plays and I'm good with that, but wanted to ask before spraying the neck!

Yeah, screws insert fine and everything is centred enough. *Tiny* bit closer to the edge on the high e side but was able to quickly fix that with a standard neck adjustment.

Thx -- but yes there's holes in the neck already! The neck came off a 2011 american standard so has the factory holes drilled. I haven't filled them to re-drill as there doesn't seem to be need. As stated above alignment doesn't look to be an issue, or is at least within acceptable margins. Looking closer at the routing it does really seem to be a body issue. I wonder if other Vinteras look like this?
My 50s Vintera does not look like that. It's a flush fit.

cornfed

Tele-Meister
A hangover isn’t too bad, except that one last week from my daughter’s graduation party,,, :( a hang under sux Ace, really feels awkward and looks like poo poo , if it plays good go with it

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Something as a side bar, you'll need an American neck plate with access hole, to be able to fine adjust it if needed

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
From a manufacturing point of view, this is called "within tolerance" . We naturally assume that necks and bodies are CUT in the same facility's and checked, the fact of the matter is they may not be. Everything is subcontracted with specs/tolerances. One guy down the road cuts the bodies another guy across town may very well cut the necks. Or if one GUY does both, he may do them 6 months apart. Then we have to ask, who set up the CNC or when was the last time the CNC bed/fence maintenance was performed ? While they are supposed to be spot on each and every time, real world says they are not, but they are within specifications/tolerances. I've seen this in my manufacturing career a few times where tolerances caused a visual issue and the CNC parts had to be redone. It happens.

Sometimes tolerances of ONE part are at the minimum and tolerances of the OTHER are at maximum. They obviously fit but we may question it. BUT they fit and are in spec'd tolerances. We also have to recognize that these days, it may even be possible that tolerances are opened a tad so that the parts can be used on a few different models, not just one. One cut does it all !

In this case, I would agree with all who have responded, its a slight VISUAL thing but the 4 neck screw holes are where the meat is. They line up which means the bridge saddles, string spacing and NUT are all in accord.

I would just string it up and enjoy it !

Last edited:

simond

Tele-Holic
This is the treble side neck pocket on my 1970 Precision. Pre CNC. I think the templates were getting a bit worn 4 years into the CBS era. I have a shim down the side of the pocket on the other side to keep the neck aligned with the bridge.

Attachments

• NeckPocket.jpg
    NeckPocket.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 11