Neck overhanging pocket on cutaway side. Thoughts?

Benny Mack

TDPRI Member
Hello folks, this is my first post so let me say hi and it’s nice to be here. I’ve visited this forum countless times for helpful info over the past couple of years as I’ve fallen in love with teles. Searched up and down for this topic and couldn’t find it, so figured it’s time to jump in! (Let me know if this belongs in Tele-Technical and I’ll repost there.)

My question is about neck pockets and particularly neck overhang on the cutaway side of the body (my first 2 photos). I’ve seen numerous posts/threads about pocket gaps and extra “shelf” space typical of early 50s teles, but can’t find info on this issue, which is kind of the opposite. It’s also not really a problem with heel-to-pocket fit as that’s actually fine. I’m wondering if anyone else has teles with this overhang, whether it’s an issue to worry about, or what (if anything) could/should be done.

Background: I picked up this LPB road worn Vintera body and I’m hoping to marry with a 2011 American Standard neck I have. The poly finish on the neck was the victim of a horrible relic attempt by the previous owner so I’ve stripped off all the poly (other than the decals/serial no) and am in the process of refinishing. I know mixing parts can be recipe for issues but the fit of this neck in the actual pocket is perfect—no gaps, snug without needing force, etc. I strung it up and string alignment down the fretboard to the bridge & over the pole pieces is great. Everything fits, and apart from needing a tiny shim playability is fine. After further inspection though I noticed this overhang off the side of the pocket, which seems unusual. I’m assuming it’s an issue with the neck pocket routing on the body? It looks a little off to me on the treble side. Some pics attached.

If it’s not going to affect playability (I can't say I can really feel it) I’m not overly concerned, but I figured I’d check in here before I finish the neck. Aesthetically I’d hope for a fix. I could potentially sand a mm off the heel of the neck to better contour the body (the re-sale value of the neck is already shot, so that’s not a concern), or sand back the pocket slightly on the bass side, but those options would alter the currently nice pocket fit. Any wisdom to share?

The closest I could find to discussion of this on the forum was @flatfive 's solution to the same issue during a build, but this is a bit different as everything in my case is already fender spec. (post #235 here https://www.tdpri.com/threads/flatf...e-build-la-cabin-absentia.467657/post-5749827)

Overhang 1.jpeg

Overhang 2.jpeg
pocket 1.jpeg
pocket 2.jpeg
front.jpeg

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Hello folks, this is my first post so let me say hi and it’s nice to be here. I’ve visited this forum countless times for helpful info over the past couple of years as I’ve fallen in love with teles. Searched up and down for this topic and couldn’t find it, so figured it’s time to jump in! (Let me know if this belongs in Tele-Technical and I’ll repost there.)

My question is about neck pockets and particularly neck overhang on the cutaway side of the body (my first 2 photos). I’ve seen numerous posts/threads about pocket gaps and extra “shelf” space typical of early 50s teles, but can’t find info on this issue, which is kind of the opposite. It’s also not really a problem with heel-to-pocket fit as that’s actually fine. I’m wondering if anyone else has teles with this overhang, whether it’s an issue to worry about, or what (if anything) could/should be done.

Background: I picked up this LPB road worn Vintera body and I’m hoping to marry with a 2011 American Standard neck I have. The poly finish on the neck was the victim of a horrible relic attempt by the previous owner so I’ve stripped off all the poly (other than the decals/serial no) and am in the process of refinishing. I know mixing parts can be recipe for issues but the fit of this neck in the actual pocket is perfect—no gaps, snug without needing force, etc. I strung it up and string alignment down the fretboard to the bridge & over the pole pieces is great. Everything fits, and apart from needing a tiny shim playability is fine. After further inspection though I noticed this overhang off the side of the pocket, which seems unusual. I’m assuming it’s an issue with the neck pocket routing on the body? It looks a little off to me on the treble side. Some pics attached.

If it’s not going to affect playability (I can't say I can really feel it) I’m not overly concerned, but I figured I’d check in here before I finish the neck. Aesthetically I’d hope for a fix. I could potentially sand a mm off the heel of the neck to better contour the body (the re-sale value of the neck is already shot, so that’s not a concern), or sand back the pocket slightly on the bass side, but those options would alter the currently nice pocket fit. Any wisdom to share?

The closest I could find to discussion of this on the forum was @flatfive 's solution to the same issue during a build, but this is a bit different as everything in my case is already fender spec. (post #235 here https://www.tdpri.com/threads/flatf...e-build-la-cabin-absentia.467657/post-5749827)

View attachment 989600
View attachment 989602 View attachment 989604 View attachment 989605 View attachment 989606
If the strings align with the bridge and the sides of the fretboard as you have said then I think you are good to go. Think of it as a slightly less bulky heel.

Footsore

Tele-Meister
From the pics of the body the body is the problem not the neck. Too much material has been removed just after the pocket giving you that bit of overhang on that side. Seeing as the pocket it a good fit and everything lines up well I personally would leave it and call it done. If the overhang bothers you as it obviously does then sand that part of the neck back to flush being careful not to remove material from the heel so it's still snug in that pocket. Then refinish as you suggested.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
The overhang shouldn't "cause" a problem, but it could be a symptom of a deeper problem. Do the screws insert OK? When they are tight, is the neck centered? If so, it's just a funky body. But if the neck doesn't center in the pocket you may need to re-fit the neck.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
It's a body issue not a neck issue. You wont really know if it's a real problem until you put it together and find out if you need to tilt the neck side to side. But it's likely no problem. Some of this is a re hash of what you already did.
If I were you I would: ( I assume no holes in the neck yet?)
-put in one neck mounting hole (lower left viewed from the top of the guitar - your last 3 pics)
-Screw the neck on with one screw.
-String low E string and high E string lightly.
-Look at the edge margin and tilt the neck left or right to make it proper.
-Look at the gaps around the neck. make a note.
-Mark and drill the other neck holes if it's acceptable.

Benny Mack

TDPRI Member
Thanks y'all. Yeah I'm function > fashion so it doesn't really *bother* me, but I was really more curious as this seems to be a bit unusual (I think?), especially considering how much I see folks chatting about extra space on the body/pocket. It plays and I'm good with that, but wanted to ask before spraying the neck!
The overhang shouldn't "cause" a problem, but it could be a symptom of a deeper problem. Do the screws insert OK? When they are tight, is the neck centered? If so, it's just a funky body. But if the neck doesn't center in the pocket you may need to re-fit the neck.

Yeah, screws insert fine and everything is centred enough. *Tiny* bit closer to the edge on the high e side but was able to quickly fix that with a standard neck adjustment.

It's a body issue not a neck issue. You wont really know if it's a real problem until you put it together and find out if you need to tilt the neck side to side. But it's likely no problem. Some of this is a re hash of what you already did.
If I were you I would: ( I assume no holes in the neck yet?)
-put in one neck mounting hole (lower left viewed from the top of the guitar - your last 3 pics)
-Screw the neck on with one screw.
-String low E string and high E string lightly.
-Look at the edge margin and tilt the neck left or right to make it proper.
-Look at the gaps around the neck. make a note.
-Mark and drill the other neck holes if it's acceptable.

Thx -- but yes there's holes in the neck already! The neck came off a 2011 american standard so has the factory holes drilled. I haven't filled them to re-drill as there doesn't seem to be need. As stated above alignment doesn't look to be an issue, or is at least within acceptable margins. Looking closer at the routing it does really seem to be a body issue. I wonder if other Vinteras look like this?

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Interesting. I've never seen that before, and any guitar I've ever owned.
Me too.

While the defect shouldn't make any practical difference, this is one whole lot of overhang.

I'm guessing you won't take offense, O.P., that we just tell you honestly, haven't seen anything like that much overhang in too long to remember. But what to do? Make the guitar earn its presence in your household, and don't worry about it because that's the best option available to you.

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Never seen that before, but the pocket & holes look okay.
Any contact w/ previous owner or the shop?

and - welcome to the club - thanks for the pics.
Peace - Deeve

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
If you're refinishing, just add some material (preferably a small piece of wood attached with Titebond) to the neck pocket.

Do not, under any circumstances, no matter what anyone says, try to reshape the neck.

Benny Mack

TDPRI Member
Me too.

While the defect shouldn't make any practical difference, this is one whole lot of overhang.

I'm guessing you won't take offense, O.P., that we just tell you honestly, haven't seen anything like that much overhang in too long to remember. But what to do? Make the guitar earn its presence in your household, and don't worry about it because that's the best option available to you.
Thanks boris. Yeah of course no offense taken! Hearing more from all of you seasoned tele folks--even if it's only to confirm that this is bizarre--is why I'm here. Something I probably should have looked at more closely when purchasing, but to be honest that particular feature of the pocket routing never crossed my mind as something to look for. It's strange to me that this left the Fender factory. I'm not particularly worried and will be happy to play and get familiar with this one once finished, quirks and all. especially as it won't be easy to sell! :)

Never seen that before, but the pocket & holes look okay.
Any contact w/ previous owner or the shop?

and - welcome to the club - thanks for the pics.
Peace - Deeve

Thanks for the welcome! No I haven't contacted the owner. This was purchased on Reverb a couple months ago from a well-reviewed shop. The return window was 7 days but tbh once received I gave it a quick inspection, and actually checked that the neck pocket fit was decent enough (which it was), and then shelved it until I had more time to build and setup just recently. Only then did I clue into this weird overhang. It's actually the first and only time I've used Reverb so not sure what I'd even do here.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
That is a "feature" for upper fret access. :lol::lol::lol:

That is unusual, but it would not bother me, as long as everything lines up properly, works properly, etc.

Beebe

Tele-Holic
I did that to the first T-style body I ever finished. I can't remember exactly how I got there but it definitely involved over sanding the soft pine. It's actually my favorite playing guitar, and a good lesson learned.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks y'all. Yeah I'm function > fashion so it doesn't really *bother* me, but I was really more curious as this seems to be a bit unusual (I think?), especially considering how much I see folks chatting about extra space on the body/pocket. It plays and I'm good with that, but wanted to ask before spraying the neck!

Yeah, screws insert fine and everything is centred enough. *Tiny* bit closer to the edge on the high e side but was able to quickly fix that with a standard neck adjustment.

Thx -- but yes there's holes in the neck already! The neck came off a 2011 american standard so has the factory holes drilled. I haven't filled them to re-drill as there doesn't seem to be need. As stated above alignment doesn't look to be an issue, or is at least within acceptable margins. Looking closer at the routing it does really seem to be a body issue. I wonder if other Vinteras look like this?
Didn’t realise the neck and body aren’t factory pair. Maybe they’re both perfect with they’re original partners?