Neck or Body compatibility among: Fender, Squire, USACG, Warmoth, Allparts, etc.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by DHart, Feb 21, 2018.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

For the "assemble your own" folks, who seek to put together their own unique Telecaster guitars with neck and body from different makers, what can be said about the general compatibility between standard "Fender" necks & bodies - when matched with the opposite component branded by any of Squire, USACG, Warmoth, Allparts, Musikraft, Mighty Mite, StewMac, et al?

For example, if I have a Fender brand neck, is it quite likely to be a trouble-free mate to a body from Squire, Warmoth, USACG, etc?

And, if I have a Fender-made body, how likely is a trouble-free mating of that body to a neck from Warmoth, Allparts, Musikraft, etc?

What has your experience been with such mixing and matching?

2. NICQ

NICQ Tele-Meister

Should all work fine as long as the scale is right (25" 1/2 neck for 25" 1/2 body) and the neck pocket fits (strat style neck heel goes in strat and tele neck pocket - tele neck goes in tele neck pocket but NOT on a strat)... they are made to be interchangable

Dismalhead likes this.
  3. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Fitting may be required if you run in to tolerance runout.

That being said, an Allparts FAT neck fit the neck pocket of my Affinity perfectly. Fretboard was slightly higher though, and the saddles needed to be raised.

reddy2300 and Dismalhead like this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

All should match the dimensions as can be seen on stewmac.com which sell necks. Mighty Mite and Stratosphere are licensed by Fender,( I'm sure Warmoth would fit that as well) work etc.All would match OEM specs.
    Except, and this may be conjecture here, I have heard that the Squire Affinity type have slightly smaller dimensions in all areas. That's what I've been told by a luthier who lives here and attended a course at one of those live in schools of luthiery.
    That's Andrew White who attended the Galloup school.

Hope I've been of help. I reckon I've used all sorts of parts on several builds over the last 20 years from SGs, Les Paul Jr. and heaps of strats, Teles and Ukuleles as well as some acoustics. Don't build anymore- I just wanna play.:)

5. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

My affinity neck pocket measured at a standard 5/8" deep. All other neck pocket dimensions were proper also.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have not fooled with Mighty Mite or Musikraft, personally.

All the others I have and the only trouble I had, was with Warmoth bodies. I don't like their neck pockets

7. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic

I have done 9 partscasters, w necks from Fender (MIC, MIM, MIJ), Squier (MIC, MII), and Warmoth ... and Bodies from Fender (MIM, MIA, MIC), Squier (MIC, MII), GFS, Tonebomb, Warmoth ...

I had extremely good "fit" on all of them - only once (the GFS body) was the neck pocket a bit too deep, but a Stew-mac Shim fixed that up really nicely.

One of key points of Leo's design is the ability to change necks easily :cool:

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The only problem I have had was an Allparts neck that was way too wide for a std body. I think maybe it was an early Allparts neck. My buddy asked me to mate it to his Fender Strat body, as he couldnt get it in there. I discovered the neck was about 1/16" wider than most. No way was it going in the body. Brand new. Go figure. This was probably 6 years ago and he's a wheeler dealer so who knows where he got that neck. I was concerned if we modified the body cutout the paint would chip.
    So I marked the neck on the sides to match the body interface line on each side, I then hand carved that shape so the neck inside/below the body surface fit in the body, but above it was still full width. What a pita! Looked good when done though.

9. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Warmoth neck (Modern Fatback) on Squier body (J5 Tele) - perfect fit, so tight you can lift the body by the neck with the screws removed.

On my other Warmoth body I currently have a baritone neck from Rockinger (Germany), before that I had a Mighty Mite on there (one piece maple neck) - both a perfect fit.

On my USACG Thinline Tele body, which has a non-name 12-string neck on it currently, I also had a Warmoth Tele neck (Modern Standard Thin) - both perfect fits.

As long as you're using necks/bodies made to Fender standards, you'll be fine!

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've had WD Music, Allparts, and USACG necks; the bodies were from Clearfork Designs, Tonebomb, and an amateur luthier

no problems, other than a little twist in the WD Music neck, because the dimensions were standard:

2-3/16" wide pocket, 5/8" deep
    2-3/16" wide neck heel, 1" total height
    25-1/2" scale length

matching body and pickup shape can be an issue, but it's only mission-critical for visual sticklers

others have much more experience, but my own experience tells me there's something really special about how necks match up with bodies: sometimes the match is just magical, and other times it's just dull and not

that is, there's no fool-proof magical formula, like "roasted maple with swamp ash is the only way to skin the tele cat!" -- it isn't, you may be surprised

RomanS likes this.
  11. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

That's the great thing about standards....there's so many to choose from! ;)

But seriously, of all the ones you mentioned, only Mighty Mite would worry me...I've heard of bridge incompatibility on those in the past...maybe they've changed that.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    nicod98 likes this.
  12. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Fender Modern Player necks and bodies aren't interchangeable with anything else. Some of the Fender MIJ stuff isn't interchangeable with anything else.

Make you body choice based on 1) your bridge, and 2) your pickup choices. Humbuckers won't fit in all bodies.

There are three basic Telecaster bridges that I know of: The Vintage bridge, the Modern bridge, and the MIA three hole bridge. The three hole bridge will only fit three hole bodies. There are subtle differences between the Modern and Vintage bridge, they can usually be fudged to work on either body.

Tuners are a subject all their own. In general, two post MIM and MIA tuners interchange with MIA and MIM necks. Asian two post tuners fit the Asian two post necks. When you get into things like vintage tuners, Grovers, Schallers, or whatever, it's best to get specific help with your particular neck and tuner choice.

zippofan and DHart like this.
  13. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I can't comment directly regarding Telecasters, but I did buy an Allparts Strat neck to go with a Strat body hand-made (not CNC-ed) by Ramsay Strachan in Scotland and it fitted absolutely perfectly. It was for a Partscaster I posted about years ago. Similarly all the Callaham hardware I bought for it went in without a hitch too.

One thing I did notice, though, was that the Allparts pickguard I bought for the assembly had the volume pot hole drilled a little further from the bridge pickup aperture than on the original Fender item. I found this out when I went to install a shielding plate cut to Fender specs. It was a minor nuisance rather than a big deal, I devised a workaround and I've installed the same kind on another Strat as well.

However, this all this is irrelevant to Telecasters specifically, but just points out that discrepancies do occur.

14. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

As has been said, the issue is (mostly) how close to spec a particular body and neck are. All of the aftermarket necks and bodies you can buy are made to Fender standard specs, so as long as they're within tolerances they should work. The thing is, they don't always work without modification.

I have had necks and body pairs from the same manufacturer that didn't fit together, and I've had them fit together perfectly.

So, to answer the OP's question: you can't generalize about the fit between any brands or even when using the same brands.

Tony474 likes this.
  15. Doctorbb

Doctorbb TDPRI Member

Heck, I picked a USA Strat off the wall at GC last year and I could slide my business card between the neck and body gap. I guess as long as it goes in, it leaves more room for neck angle alignment.

16. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

That's an awesome Tele. What kind of vibrato and bridge did you use? Is it better or similar to a Bigsby?

17. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

That's a MosLike - a Mosrite-type vibrato sold on Ebay, works very similar to a Bigsby (but with holes to mount the strings, you don't have to push the ball-ends onto tiny pegs); it is a great option if you want a Bigsby without a tension bar on a guitar that has a body that is to short for a B3 or the likes (and if you don't want to cut down a B16 for useage with a different bridge pickup on a Tele).
    The bridge is a Compton bar bridge.

SonsOfMoog likes this.
  18. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

I’ve got a Mighty Mite neck that fit very well on a Fender Hwy 1 tele body and now lives on an MJT tele body. The Hwy 1 tele then got a Mustikraft neck that fits great.

19. Fatstring

Fatstring TDPRI Member

In my experience with mixing usacg necks and Warmoth bodies on basses, the necks were a little big and would not fit the pocket. A few min with 200 grit paper and a block took care of that. Pretty minor variance. One of the reasons I love tru-oil neck finishes is they can be so thin they don't factor in the pocket fit much.

20. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

My experience has been that these four necks:

-Tele MIM Nashville Deluxe (rosewood)
    -Tele MIM Baja '50s (maple)
    -Tele MIM Baja '60s (rosewood)
    -Tele MIJ Pawn Shop '51 (maple)

have all been comfortably interchangeable with these bodies:

-MIA American Standard Tele
    -MIM Cabronita Thinline

My MIM Tele Blacktop HH neck (rosewood) is a little bit tall in the heel (but not impossibly so) for use with the above bodies, but of course fits perfectly with the body that it came with, and can be used on the above bodies.

For mixing and matching necks and bodies, I've been sticking with Fender brand MIA and MIM necks and bodies - mostly out of confidence in likelihood of success, and the name branding for potential resale.

I asked the question in this thread as I've been thinking of venturing beyond the Fender brand for two bodies that I need to match up with two unused Fender Tele necks (Baja '50s and Baja '60s).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.