1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Neck nut slot depth?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jukebox_john, Apr 17, 2017.

1. jukebox_john

jukebox_john TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Anybody know how deep the neck nut slot is supposed to be?
    Thanks

2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

It isn't measured by how deep, but instead by measuring the height of each string at the first fret while the string is fretted between the second and third fret.In inches/millimeters I like mine to graduate from 0.007"/0.178mm on the low E to 0.004"/0.102mm on the high E. Up to a couple of thousandths taller is OK, if being careful while cutting and allowing for wear, but nothing above 0.010"/0.254mm I've seen many come from factories with as high as 0.017"/0.432mm and even a couple of them above 0.020"/0.508mm! Inexpensively obtained flat feeler gauges are used to check and specifically dedicated nut files are needed to cut the slots.
    Just My $.02 & Likely Worth Even Less,
    Gene

eddy8dynamite likes this.
  3. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I set mine by your method, but I eyeball the clearance, and it is minuscule to absent.

4. nervous

nervous Tele-Meister

Yup, I get to the same place by fretting at the third fret, as previously noted then pressing repeatedly on fret one. You'll feel the distance and hear the click. I've done enough to know what I like, there is a gap but it's very very small, and for me, even across all strings. Any lower you can have issues, any taller and I find it easy to bend out of tune in that area. Genuine nut files make this job a breeze, check some YouTube vids on technique and methods. It ain't hard, but it also ain't hard to mess up if you're not careful. The nice thing is that theyre cheap and easy enough to replace if you do. Then move to a Tusq...

10thoufirst likes this.
  5. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

The above method is how most of us do it, but to be super-accurate, you measure the height of the frets (span two frets with a utility knife blade, or anything small with a straight edge - even a credit card - and measure underneath with feeler gauges) and then add a bit, generally .012"-.021" on the bass side and .010"-.018" on the treble side. Many players go a bit lower, very few go higher.

6. jukebox_john

jukebox_john TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Thanks, folks

7. Plan9

Plan9 Tele-Meister

Do you mean the dado that is cut into the fretboard/neck itself (that holds the nut) as opposed to the slots in the nut?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.