Neck Humbucker Series/Parallel/Coil Split

Telepatio

Tele-Meister
I have a number of questions with regards to my Tele Custom's neck humbucker.

The current setup is that it is coil-split with a push-pull volume pot.

When in split(single-coil)position there is a significant decrease in output. Is there anything that can be added to the circuit that would increase the volume while split to match normal un-split output?

Secondly, is it possible to leave the coil-split on the push pull pot but add a two-way mini-toggle so that when operating normally I could switch between series and parallel wiring?

Thanks for any help. I am no wiring wizard!

Chad

DSC02118.jpg

cc9cii

Friend of Leo's
I could be wrong, but I thought they didn't come with push/pull pot from the factory. Do you know how it is currently wired? (wiring dgm or photos)

It should be possible to add another switch, I think, but it might depend on how you have it wired now.

Guitarmadcat

Banned
Hi! With regard to your statement: "When in split(single-coil)position there is a significant decrease in output." - that is supposed to be the idea. Hope you don't think I'm patronising or stating the obvious but 'buckers generally have higher output than s/ coils so, when operating the coil split switch, by definition you are lowering output with regards to the s/ coil mode being lower in output - geddit?

Telepatio

Tele-Meister
:)

Yes, I understand the WHY of the situation, I am just wondering if there is a way to maintain the tone of the split-coil but increase the volume to match. My bridge pickup is a P90 type thing and also has much higher output so I'd like to (if possible) get the coil-split volume boosted...preferably "on board" and not in a pedal. I love the versatility but want to make it more practical in use. Maybe an on/off switch with a battery powered preamp would do it.

The addition of a series/parallel switch would just be gravy.

"I want the world.....I want the WHOLE world....."

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Your Q & A

Is there anything that can be added to the circuit that would increase the volume while split to match normal un-split output?

If your humbucker is the standard type (not a Fender Wide-Range), check to see if when it shunts it leaves the screw-coil or the slug-coil active (tap on the pole pieces). If when it shunts it leaves the screw-coil active, you might try this adjustment - no new parts, it's free and reversable.

I have had positive results addressing your issue by lowering the pickup, and raising the screw polepieces up so that they protrude out of the top of the pickup a bit, around an 1/8" or perhaps a bit more (you can fiddle around with it).

This object of this adjustment is to make the screw coil "hotter" than the slug coil, which might make the coil-shunt tone a better match (in output) to the series tone. It also MAY brighten the series tone as well, giving you a sweeter-sounding humbucker.

If your switch shunts the screw-coil, leaving the slug-coil active, it's easy to change that by (typically) moving just ONE jumper on the p/p, so that this adjustment can be utilized. Let us know.

Secondly, is it possible to leave the coil-split on the push pull pot but add a two-way mini-toggle so that when operating normally I could switch between series and parallel wiring?

Yes, OR add another p/p to get coils-parallel with no new holes - or you could wire the existing p/p as a coils-parallel instead of coil-shunt.

I have a few guitars with a coil-shunt p/p AND a coils-parallel p/p. The coils-parallel has a bit more "character" than the coil-shunt tone, but I couldn't say that it's any louder. But then, I have most of my humbucker-ed axes adjusted as I described above.

Telepatio

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to try wiring the push-pull to do parallel instead of coil-split. See if that gets more useable sounds for me.