1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Neck humbucker for super distortion bridge

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sparky472, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

I have a partscaster tele that I put a Dimarzio Super Distortion T in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan Jazz neck. I LOVE the Dimarzio. It sounds fantastic in the bridge - thick but clear, bright but not icepicky, not too midrangey. But the Jazz in the neck is too muddy for me in both middle and neck positions. Any thoughts on a full size humbucker that would pair nicely with the Super Distortion without being too muddy and dark?

chemobrain likes this.
  2. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Maybe the Super 2?

Sparky472 likes this.
  3. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Holic

Have you ever given any thought to setting your amplifier for the neck pickup and using the tone knob to tame your bridge pickup?

4. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

I use the tone knob from time to time of course, but what you’re describing doesn’t work for me. I switch positions a lot, even in the course of one song, so I need my pickups to be a pretty solid match from the get-go. Between the switch and the volume knob, which I use a lot as well, I’ve got my hands full.

I took a look at the Super 2. Might be the ticket. I’ll likely give that a shot.

5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Carvin M22V

6. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a Super Distortion T in my main Tele for a few years and I never did find a neck pickup I liked with it. I ended up doing without one and wired my switch for series/split/parallel voicings. Splitting it and turning down my tone knob was a pretty good substitute for a neck pickup.

7. metale

metale Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

The SD Jazz is not known for being a dark pickup, so I don't know what to suggest.

Consider bypassing the tone control for the neck position, it's possible it's being held back by the two 250K pots (assuming that's what it has).

If you don't use the tone control, consider using twin volume knobs, a 500K for the neck and a 250K on the bridge.

Bluego1 likes this.
  8. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I have a Dimarzio Air Norton in the neck of my Ibanez, paired with a super distortion in the bridge. I like the combination. A lot of mids from the Norton. If you want a lot of treble, rather than mids, maybe try the Seymour Duncan 59. I have that in the neck of my King V, paired with a JB in the bridge. Seems like the 59 should work well with the super distortion.

9. metale

The '59 is darker than the Jazz, I don't think that will work in this case.

10. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Very similar tone profiles. A bit more bass in the 59, but it works great with the JB so I’m fairly sure it would work with the super distortion.

11. metale

I don't doubt it would work, but the OP has it dark with the Jazz as is, so hhe probably can't go anymore bass-ier. IMO

12. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Good point. Though neither is a dark pickup. Hopefully what you suggested above works for OP.

metale likes this.
  13. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Afflicted

it seems like DiMarzio likes the Super2 neck combined w the Super Distortion bridge:

"If you love the sound of a Super Distortion® in the bridge and you like hot neck pickups too, try a Super 2™. The Super 2™ takes the classic Super Distortion® sound and slides the EQ up in favor of the high-end, so its brighter top and lighter bottom work to balance out the darker, overtone heavy information up by the fingerboard. The Super 2™ is just the pickup to clean up the overdrive sound of a mud-heavy 24¾’’ scale, two-humbucker guitar or to add snap to a dark sounding 25½” bolt-on. It works great in the bridge or the neck."​

chemobrain and Treynor like this.
  14. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

The classic pairing for the Dimarzio Super distortion in the bridge is a the Dimarzio P.A.F. in the neck position. Tried and true for over 40 years.

tele12 likes this.
  15. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

DiMarzio PAF Pro, or an Evolution. I wouldn't go with a straight DiMarzio PAF anymore, but the 356th Anniversary, or the PAF Pro (a bit brighter) or the Evo (a little brighter still) would be my choice in the neck position..

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  16. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

Thanks guys. After looking at all the options on Dimarzio’s website, it seems like the Super 2 skews more to the high end, so I think I’ll give that a shot first.

17. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

The only Duncan that is brighter than the Jazz (which is a Very Bright Pickup- check your wiring), is the Full Shred.

metale likes this.
  18. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

Popped in a Super 2 this morning. I think it’s going to fit the bill. Only had a few minutes to play but seems to be a good match for the Super Distortion in the bridge, not muddy at all, good balance.

@Mincer - wiring not the issue. Maybe I got a bad sample with the Jazz. I’ve tried it before in other builds and felt it was muddy sounding, esp for what’s supposed to be a brighter humbucker.

19. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Yeah, that's strange, but possible depending on the guitar. If the Jazz is muddy, and there isn't anything 'wrong' with the pickup (and it still has the stock A5 magnet), you might just have a muddy sounding guitar.

20. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

Sparky I have been using Dimarzio Pickups since the 70's. Application specificity seems to be Dimarzios forte. I have a Evolution p.u. in my Ibanez cheapy grinder and it maintains it's best qualities now mater what kind or how many creepy boxes I run it through. They make a pick up called "Humbucker from hell" which is terribly misleading, the p.u. does a great version of a hum free P-90, I put one in my Chandler lap steel AWE HOT-!CHA I just love how it sounds

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.