Neck heel question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TeleBrew, Dec 26, 2018.

1. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So I bought this Strat recently that was made in Japan in 1975. The pickups are heavy magnet Greco, but that's about all I know for sure. Here are pics of the neck heel, which is the only place on the guitar where there are any markings, and the neck pocket, which may once have had a micro tilt adjustment, but I'm not sure. It has four holes for the neck plate, plus one extra that is now vestigial. (and two really small ones that don't go all the way through). So I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the markings on the neck heel mean.

IMG_20181226_162359909.jpg IMG_20181226_162429431.jpg

2. TeleBrew

Here are more pics of the entire guitar.

IMG_20181213_202126733.jpg IMG_20181213_202202425.jpg IMG_20181213_202216570.jpg

3. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Looks cool whatever it is!

TeleBrew likes this.
  4. TeleBrew

Thanks. It plays amazingly well, and sounds just as good. I have a feeling the neck was added later, since it has 22 frets and trussrod access at the headstock, but I don't really know. It also feels like a flatter radius fretboard than 7.25", which I assume was still the common radius on most Fender-type guitars made in the 1970's.

5. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Unless the shim located in the neck pocket is covering up a screw hole, chances are it's never had a three bolt neck plate. There isn't a hole for where there would be the adjustment screw for a "Micro-tilt" would be.

There's a chance that the two smaller screw hole are for a "stick" holding the body during the painting process. That's a process that Fender used for many years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.