Neck fitting

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Skrik, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Skrik

Skrik Tele-Holic

I have a Dr Parts neck, 22 frets, no overhang that I want to fit to a standard body. I have thought of cutting along the pencil lines I have marked:

[​IMG]

I won't hit the truss rod, so I foresee few problems with that operation. There is, however, one more issue with this neck: even at the 21st fret, it is too wide.

[​IMG]

The reading there is a shade under 57mm. The neck pocket is the standard 55.5mm, which means that 0.75mm has to come off each side of the neck.

(I measure in metric, but I am conversant in English, too.)

Is doing this just a simple matter of filing and sanding off the sides, followed by a refinish, or is this adjustment so fiddly that I should just buy another neck?

2. mowcheeba

mowcheeba Tele-Holic

Not sure but if the refinish isn't well made it could look bad..
    I would file/sand the part of the neck heel that is not visible along
    with the neck pocket. Careful sanding in the neck pocket, you want
    the pocket to be straight.
    Then you can push in the neck with slight force which
    would result in a good tight neck/body joint.

3. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I see your neck is untinted. Therefore you could sand the sides of the heel and refinish without matching problems.

How do you know you woulldn't hit the truss rod? I see it has a headstock adjustment and a maple cap. Do you know for sure exactly where the anchor is located?

Cutting the notch would be a simple trick with a table saw. However you have to keep in mind that the neck sides are not parallel. I would cut a piece of 1/4 in. MDF the same length as the neck. Draw a centerline on the MDF. Find the centerline on the neck and and double-stick-tape the neck to the MDF. Then set the blade height to the desired depth of cut and go at it taking off a blade width at a time cutting the MDF and neck at the same time. This should reduce chances of splintering. Practice on scraps first.

Hmmm........... 22 frets with no overhang. That should make these necks suitable replacements for G&L guitars.

4. Skrik

Skrik Tele-Holic

Should I resand all the way to the top (necessitating redressing the frets), or just to the join between the neck and the fretboard?

The hole in the heel goes all the way down to the cap. A magnet tells me the end of the truss rod is somewhere north of my pencil lines.

It would be nice to have access to a table saw, but I don't. I was thinking of using a tenon saw. The MDF trick is good, though, to keep everything square in the box.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to remember to take pics of my (eventual) progress.

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Tele-Afflicted

I'd be asking myself if the work and risks of the neck mod/refin were worth it, given that you could sell that neck and buy one that actually fit at a net cost of probably $50-$100........:cool:

6. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe it's just me but I don't see this as a difficult or risky procedure.

Another option is to use a router, a pattern bit and a straight edge.

7. fullerplast

fullerplast Tele-Afflicted

I dunno, I thought you gave a pretty good accounting of that in your last post!;)
    :

You have sanding, cutting, MDF jig cutting, scrap practicing, finishing, wet sanding, and buffing.....how much is your time worth? Materials? How much could that neck be sold for after customization?

......or if he could do an ebay sale of his neck and an ebay purchase of a neck that would fit with the overhang built in for little/no cash or labor. I'd certainly be considering that route at this point, if it were me.:cool:

8. CDKopf

CDKopf Tele-Holic

Wouldnt this bring the nut closer to the saddles - affecting the scale & intonation???

9. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

CDKopf: It's a 22 fret neck without the overhang...the neck pocket is cut for a 21 fret neck. 22 fret necks have a fretboard overhang.

10. CDKopf

CDKopf Tele-Holic

AAhhh I see.... Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.