1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Neck finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by lstdukestking, Nov 2, 2020.

1. lstdukestking

lstdukestking Tele-Meister

Looking to remove some of the finish off the back of my Mexican tele to increase speed. I've heard of people doing this, looking for a tutorial and any advice.

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Some people use fine steel wool, others use Scotchbrite (whatever that is), but I use good old-fashioned sandpaper, 240 grit.

Masking tape at where you want the sanding to end, and sand off the shine, not the whole finish.

Some people find this a bit extreme, but it produces a beautifully smooth matte finish and you don't have to redo it.

3. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

I agree with hemingway about taping up the areas you don't want to affect, but disagree with the grit of sandpaper. 240 grit is to aggressive and it's be far too easy to sand through the finish, my suggestion would be 800 or 1,000 grit, because all you want to do is take off the "shine".

Even better, if you use the higher grit sandpaper and you don't like the feel, you can polish the neck back to it's original condition quite easily!

Good luck!

Boreas likes this.
  4. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Try a turbo charger.

Super chargers are ok but not as efficient.

hemingway likes this.
  5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I see what you're saying. But when I started doing this I used 1000 grit, then less fine paper until I got to 240, because I kept having to redo it.

It depends on how thick the poly is on the neck. With a thick poly finish you'd really have to go at it with 240 to sand through to the wood.

John Nicholas likes this.
  6. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I would start with grey Scotchbrite (if you can find it) or 600 grit for starters. 1,000 grit is approximately satin but hand wear will shine it back up in time, so, yeah you'll end up touching it up from time to time.

7. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Scotchbrite. Available in different flavours, this is the red :)

[​IMG]

John Nicholas and hemingway like this.
  8. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You can also overspray it with satin
    or semi-gloss poly.

9. lstdukestking

lstdukestking Tele-Meister

Thanks guys! I'll be giving this a shot next time I change strings I guess.

Boreas likes this.
  10. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Don‘t overspray with anything!
    You want a smooth neck with no or at least a thin coating. Scotchbrite will do the job for sure but you‘ll have to redo after a while since your hand buffs the matte surface to gloss again.

11. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

No need to wait until a string change. Just get you a scotchbrite pad and rub it up and down the back of the neck a few times. You will see a bit of white dust after your done so give it a quick wipe with a clean cloth and you're all set.

12. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Scotchbrite is the common brand name for abrasive-impregnated woven nylon pads. Much like you'd find on one side of a kitchen sponge, except in larger sheets and varying grits.

I actually don't use the brand named stuff but get the pads instead from Klingspoor's Woodworking Shop online (a major sandpaper supplier, you probably have a good woodworking catalogue on that side of the pond, or at the paint section of an autoparts store).

As for the color codes, if I recall correctly, maroon is like 320 grit, grey is like 600, and there's green thats more coarse. And there's a white that doesn't have any abrasive in it. I generally reach for the gray.

The stuff is a fantastic, and rather durable, substitute for steel wool. And you don't have to worry about getting little shards of metal stuck to your electric guitar pickup polepieces. I recommend using it to knock the gloss off of the factory finish on the neck of the OP's guitar. No need to strip or refinish that's a headache particularly since the original finish is so durable.

If you don't have scotchbrite then try 800 grit wet or dry paper. That's very fine and won't do much. But all you want to do is knock the gloss off and remove the high spots that you didn't know were there. If it doesn't cut back at all then go down to 600 which is still pretty fine.

Then you can experiment by bringing the gloss back up with liquid polish or compound until you get where you want to be on the feel of the neck.

13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

make sure what you use it very fine. I wold tape off also. It's surprisingly how much 0000 steel wool makes light visible scratches.
    Move in small circles and move around the neck slowly. A quick job will look like hell just leaving fine scratches all over.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.