1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Neck Don't Fit...!?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by BigWillyInd, Mar 24, 2013.

1. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

So, here I am with my refinished (shoreline gold) MIM strat body, and my now finished All-Parts neck, and holy hell... The neck won't fit into the body cavity. I had my repair guy, who I think is reliable, order this neck for me.
    Is this a common problem?
    Is there anything I can do to make it fit with this body? I don't really have anymore money to throw at another body, although it is just a basswood MIM standard body, for what it's worth.
    Any answers or advice y'all got would be appreciated.

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How much too wide is the neck? Did it fit before the body was painted? There's a good chance that paint buildup in the neck pocket or a thick coating of lacquer on the neck is causing the problem. If so, the answer is sanding the neck pocket, the neck heel, or both until it all fits.

If the parts themselves are built to the usual Fender dimensions, then things should fit. What is done with them after manufacture is beyond the control of Fender, or the guy who ordered your neck. It's a case of live and learn, and with a little more work there's no reason it shouldn't work.

3. chauncy

chauncy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

4. BigWillyInd

Think it'd work for a strat neck too, eh chauncy?

5. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Just messing with neck pockets today. I just got an american spec strat body. 2 3/16 i believe. So far it fit my squier std and a noname neck perfect. Both necks were a touch loose in a johnson body. The way off one was a kit body it fit maybe 1/8 loose. It had a neck that was too wide to fit the other bodies. I still want to try an sx fit. I also had a problem with an affinity and another tele fitting.

6. BigWillyInd

Well, let's hope that sanding will do the trick. My friend refinished the body and neck so he has it, and I haven't seen it yet. So I don't know how off we are, but he says it's too tall and to wide, I guess. The thing about it is, I've been waiting on this awhile already and I was hoping to play this thing for a couple of gigs this weekend. Oh well...

7. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Did the neck fit into the neck pocket before the body was painted? There is always some final fitting. And often, it's not nearly as bad as you might think. Just take your time and slowly and evenly sand around the sides of the neck pocket and it should eventually slide in from the top. Remember that the neck won't go in from the back. They drop in on top. Keep us updated. ;)

8. Delta63

Delta63 Tele-Holic

I had to do this when I was putting an SX neck on a strat. It ended up fine.

9. cmm71

cmm71 Tele-Meister

I believe Allparts necks are made in Japan. I happen to really like Japanese made necks BUT I do find them slightly too large for USA and Mexican neck pockets. I've built 4 teles from parts and twice I've tried to pair a Japanese neck with a North American body only to find that they would not fit. Both times I got back on ebay and bought Japanese bodies and they fit like a glove. It's just a theory.

10. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

MIM necks are thinner than CIJ, USA, and Squier.

I could barely get a CVC neck into a MIM 60s classic body. I had to really force it in. BUT now that its in it is very resonant, perhaps due to the tight coupling.

Its probably best to use a MIM neck to a MIM body.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.