Neck choice

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Blue Ass Fly, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Blue Ass Fly

Blue Ass Fly TDPRI Member

building a partscaster and have the choice of 3 necks but have played none of them
    A 1989 korean squier - nicely aged
    A 2018 classic vibe
    A 2019 mim 50’s
    All maple , within about £60 of each other
    Recommendations please

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

MIM 50s will be chunkier and if choosing that is the one I'd grab.

Classic Vibe should be nice too.

Squier is often thinner carved. Width and depths will be close but they start carving at the front of the fretboard back rather than leave flats on the sides of the neck before carving back -- so the shoulders on the rear can be cut more resulting in a smaller neck circumference. Which doesn't work for me. Some are ok and cut more like MIM/MIA but you don't really know until you try it or get very detailed pictures of the sides of the neck to see if there are flats or an acute carve angle.

casey2910 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  3. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Me too. For the chunk. Though admittedly, I don’t remember what profile those have and I know nothing about the Squier - might be fantastic for all I know.

4. Blue Ass Fly

Thanks for the reply
    I agree its difficult without feeling them
    The parts guitar has some really nice hardware on a solid ash body so i dont want to ruin it by bolting a bat to it

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

My 1993 Korean Fender Squier had an OK neck, but I wanted a baseball bat neck, so I replaced it with a Warmoth Fatback, wide, conversion neck. Can you "feel them" before buying? Personally, I'd prefer the fattest.

6. Blue Ass Fly

Theyre all bought unseen unfortunately,i agree with everyone that chunky would be better
    Maybe the mim 52 is worth the extra knowing the neck is going to be a handful ( and its got fender on the head)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.