Neck bucker to pair with Dimarzio chopper T bridge

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by GhostofJohnToad, Sep 14, 2013.

1. GhostofJohnToad

GhostofJohnToad Tele-Afflicted

Thinking about swapping out the GFS noiseless in my mim tele with a Dimarzio chopper bridge and a bucker in the neck position. My main requirements are:

1) price - under $75
    2) very good clean sound - this is most important
    3) volume wise should pair well with the chopper

Open to all suggestions at this point. This guitar is a little dark sounding generally so brighter would be good to.

2. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

Any good clean PAF pickup should do it. I have a big Duncan '59 bucker in the neck of a tele with a Duncan Hot Tele in the bridge. Love the Duncan '59, which Fender uses in a lot of its own Custom Shop teles. Duncan Jazz would also be good, and I am guessing that Dimarzio makes some nice PAF buckers as well.

I believe Duncans and Dimarzios have the same polarity so they should be in phase, but if you have 4-wire pickups it's not a big deal to flip one anyway.

George

3. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

Dimarzio Twang King?

it's what comes as standard on the kotzen teles and is an epic combo.

Edit: whoops, bucker, never mind

4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

They're 9k, right? Something around 7.5 - 8k for volume, I'd say. Stick to the lower end of that for a bit more clarity on the cleans. If your guitar is already a bit dark, consider going lower and sacrificing a bit of volume. A Tonerider Alnico II or (at just a little over $75) a Gibson 490r might be good places to start your search.

5. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

+1

6. GhostofJohnToad

GhostofJohnToad Tele-Afflicted

I thought about a twang king but wanted the look and quietness of the bucker. I have pick guards cut for both sizes so maybe I'll investigate the twang king as well. Have to fire up the YouTube demos.

7. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

I'd go totally noiseless if you put the Chopper in the bridge. Just get a nice PAF thingie. My problem is that I like neck buckers just fine but have never found a bridge bucker that worked for my head and fingers... Always wanted to try a Chopper or something like that.

George

8. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Duncan Vintage Firebird is my choice. Also have had good luck with 60's Gibson Mini Humbuckers

9. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, a minibucker is ALWAYS good on a tele as well. Maybe a Dimarzio version to ensure it's in phase. Probably a bit harder to find a pickguard for a mini, and note that Gibson minis are a bit smaller than Duncans (a Hot Rod 52 tele with a Lollar--Gibson sized) has a little space around it.

George

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.