1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

neck - bridge and cocked wah in a 3-way?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by HBamps, Apr 8, 2009.

1. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

Since I never use middle positions, I am trying to figure a way to wire my tele with a standard three way switch to have the following settings;
    1) bridge
    2) cocked wah bridge (.0047 to ground)
    3) neck

It seems like everything I try with the standard switch leaves the .0047 to ground in all positions.

Is it possible?

2. dugg

dugg TDPRI Member

I think it's impossible because in the middle position a 3 way switch always contacts both poles. I'm thinking you could do it with a 4 way, but you want to keep the one you got. Maybe you could modify the 3 way switch....

I recently built a Tele-ish thing for my friend that incorporates this;
    http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=modules&action=display&thread=3883
    You could eliminate the tone pot and put in a fixed resistor or two. The combination of the .047pf cap and the .022 gives a really cool sound, not unlike the fabled 'cocked wah'. Then there are passive circuits that incorporate an inductor like the gibson varitone and the one I can't recall the name of that Bill Lawrence designed. They give more control over tone than caps and resistors.

Personally, my favorite 'cocked wah' is the SOoP (series out of phase) combination of two pickups of different sizes or kinds like I get on my Coyote Dancer strat mod, which has two SC's wired together at the bridge like a humbucker. Putting coils in series compensates for the drop in volume of OoP, and having unmatched coils gives a fatter tone with more 'Q'. For example, two similar strat single coils OoP will give a much thinner, quieter (more completely cancelled) sound than a strat coil OoP with a humbucker, or even another strat coil that is wound hotter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.