Near death food experience? Ok, so I exagerate a little....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RevMike, Feb 13, 2017.

1. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

On the serious side, nothing really to play around with. So, over the weekend, I went to my local Pizza shop in Staten Island. While I was deciding what to get, I saw someone's Sausage Parmigian hero coming out and man did it look good. So, I decided to break with tradition, and order a sausage parmigian hero.

We grab a table and wait for our food to come out. A few minutes late the nice young girl leaves a plate in front of me with a steaming hot sandwich, and scurries back into the kitchen. I took a closer look, and realized it was definitely not sausage parm, but I wasn't sure what it was. Chicken maybe? Veal? I wasn't going to say anything, because it still looked delicious. I was just gonna dig right in and take a massive bite. But it was too hot. I'd at least wait till my friend's salad came out.

As I waited, I examined it closer. I poked it with a fork. Maybe it was shrimp? I'm DEATHLY allergic to shellfish. Finally she came out to bring my buddy's salad, and I asked her what it was. And she answered "Shrimp parm". Thank goodness I didn't touch it! Without wanting to cause a scene, I calmly asked her to please take it back, because it was not what I had ordered. She said "I'm pretty sure I heard you say Shrimp." I told her, "Nope. I wouldn't do that unless I was suicidal." Then I explained that I was allergic, and....left home without my Epi-pen. She apologized and 10 minutes later, brought me a new, correct sandwich.

I typically carry an Epi-pen for these sort of circumstances, because my reaction, even to slight cross contamination is very severe. My doctor had a patient with the same allergy that died from cross contamination, and insisted afterward that I get one.

After dinner, which was really delicious as usual, I was leaving and the manager, hollered over to me, "Sorry Bro." To which my reply is "No problem, It happens. But I'd be careful in the future, you could've had a dead guy on your floor." To which he just shrugged.

Maybe I'm overreacting a little, but I think if that were me....I'd have probably not only given me my dinner free, but probably a handful of free pizza coupons. I mean...I know a lot of people that have my allergy, but mine is severe. I really could have died. I always say mistakes happen, and its what you do to make up for it that matters. Do people even think about this stuff?

String Tree, Tazz3 and 1955 like this.
  2. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Do most people even think about this stuff?
    I'd say that they don't, unfortunately. Unless they
    themselves or any family member have any similar conditions.

In this area, food establishments are required to post a warning about the
    dangers of serving shellfish to people susceptible to bad reactions.

I'm glad you bothered to check with the food server and you are okay.

1955 and RevMike like this.
  3. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

You're not overreacting at all. And yes, you should've got a free dinner at least. People who serve your food literally have your life in their hands.

Many years ago, I bought a takeaway chicken and chips from a place near where I worked. As I tucked into the hot chicken, I became aware of it getting cooler far quicker than I would've expected. The reason for this is it was FROZEN SOLID in the middle! I spent an unexpectedly distressing session in the toilet making myself throw it up to be on the safe side. I went back and complained to the shop and they didn't give a hoot. The older and wiser me would sue and report them for a serious health and safety violation.

Felino and RevMike like this.
  4. RevMike

My friend said it was "because they're kids...they don't care". Not sure that's it either. When I was a kid (like 17) I worked at Chick-fil-a in the mall in Raleigh. One night there was a leak in the roof, and a ceiling panel was bulging from the weight of the water and was about to drop. I was acting supervisor that night, and I noticed it. There was a lady eating her dinner directly underneath. I went out to rope off the area and ask her to move. She said, "Don't worry honey, I'll be out of here in 5 minutes. I don't think anything is going to happen in 5 minutes." I insisted, and she insisted again. So I relented. Just as I went to turn around and walk away about 50 gallons of water, and waterlogged drop ceiling mush came crashing down on her head and dinner, and packages. Immediately I cordoned off the area, got two girls to come and help her clean up. I called the owner and we offered to pay for everything she'd purchased, her dinner and loads of free food. She declined any of it, because she said I'd given her fair warning. I did make sure she at least took some free coupons. My point is its all in how you make up for it.

Felino, 1955 and RoyBGood like this.
  5. RevMike

That....is gross. Raw frozen chicken....ew.

6. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

...Indeed. I had a very worrying few hours afterwards, I can tell you! :(

7. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Good point. The most annoying thing about a lot of customer service interactions is when you sense indifference on the merchant's side of the counter.

In my region, the newspaper/online news source publishes sub-par health inspector's scores on area restaurants, and they are similarly reported
    on a local TV station's broadcast and websites. This may have improved things a bit, but you also just need to be careful.

1955 likes this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I took my (first) wife out to nice seafood place on 6th St. many moons ago.
    This was about 1984.
    We had steamed mussels as an appetizer, and a lovely dinner.
    About an hour after going to bed I woke up
    sicker that I have ever been, before or since.
    I'll spare y'all the gory details, but my wife drove me to the ER.
    I was OK a couple of days later.
    Truly scary!
    I am officially mussel-phobic!

9. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I hear ya on the shrimp...Crazy thing is oysters and clam chowder are fine with me but shrimp turn my stomach into some kind of a war zone..Tried them 3 time and there will never be a 4 time..

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My main "beef":rolleyes: with shrimp is that it just reminds me of bait.
    I can generally live without it, except as bait.
    It's almost unbeatable, as bait.

11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think it would be very nerve wracking to live with those life threatening allergies like nut and shellfish. I have compassion for those that have them but I think it puts ALL the responsibility for not consuming those things on the person with the allergy.

Honestly...aren't there some incredible odds that if you eat somewhere and don't prepare your own food that eventually those odds will catch up and someone will make a mistake? That mistake will be unintended, of course...but you will be dead.

Having read your post, the idea that you were simply going to bite into something that wasn't what you ordered, prepared by someone who has shell fish in close proximity of all other foods? This should be a wake up call to YOU...not them.

Mr Green Genes likes this.
  12. RevMike

I get what you're saying. And I'm usually very proactive (up to the point of being annoying) about it. In this case, I didn't look at the menu, so I didn't know they had shrimp. Still...it wasn't what I ordered.

13. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I used to work at a college dining hall when I was in high school. There was a catered event one night, and a huge commotion broke out.

I heard that someone asked a cook if there was mushrooms in a dish, and they said no - even though there were. Someone had a reaction.

When the manager came back and asked the cook about it, they said "Oh, there was only a little bit. Nobody is that allergic. They were probably just faking it."

Yep, they live among us.

There were also parents that felt that way about peanut allergies when my kids were in elementary school. Just ignore the warnings - it's can't be that bad, right? This was less than 10 years ago - by the time people should know better - but some people only care about what they know.

1955 and RevMike like this.
  14. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic

I don't think that's much of an exaggeration (scarily). Although I read the preview and thought it was going to be an ENTIRELY different kind of story... ;)

[​IMG]

15. RevMike

I'll tell you, its real! I used to eat shellfish all the time. I loved it. Got my first reaction at 13, after my mother took me to dinner at Red Lobster for all you can eat shrimp. My eyes were swollen shut, and I was gasping for air. Didn't make the connection until the 2nd time it happened at a seafood restaurant at the beach. It was way worse that time.

I can't even take multi vitamins because they harvest some of the calcium from oyster shell.

16. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Which pizza shop on SI? Joe & Pats? (My favorite by a long shot.) Good Fellas?

RevMike likes this.
  17. RevMike

Oddly enough, I work on Victory Blvd, just slightly up the block from BOTH of those. Still my faves are Nunzio's on Hylan Blvd. and Brothers on Forest Ave. My all time favorite is Towne Deli on Arthur Kill Road.

This time it was a Pronto Pizza out by the Outerbridge Crossing. Not the best by a longshot.

18. RevMike

If you're in the hood anytime soon let me know. We can grab some Joe and Pats.

[​IMG]

the_lyall likes this.
  19. Badger06

Badger06 Tele-Meister

Maybe she genuinely misheard and thought you'd ordered shrimp. Easily done

the_lyall likes this.
  20. AnAxeNamedBeverly

AnAxeNamedBeverly Tele-Meister

As a foodservice professional I would strongly recommend that you tell EVERYONE who prepares ANY food for you of your allergy and carry your pen. Every once in a while you get someone who doesn't say a word about allergies, but ends up swelling up and freaking out. I feel bad, but it's on them not me.

Mr Green Genes and the_lyall like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.