Neal Schon Guitar Auction Result - Actual Vintage Value Versus Premium for Player Association

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by knavel, Aug 3, 2021.

1. knavel

knavel Tele-Holic

This thread is sort of an epilogue to an earlier discussion here at TDPRI: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/neal-schon’s-53-blackguard.1076309/

If you read the only article I could find Neal Schon auction result over the weekend from Guitar World (link below), it's clear that there were instances where the guitar / song / player association fetched a premium.

But was this the case in all instances? If so, what percentage over what the same instrument would have fetched if some random person like me were selling the instrument?

For example, a super amazing 59 Les Paul I reckon is a $250K instrument, so if his got $350K, does that mean his name/ownership adds a 33% premium? We know for a fact that, Lennon, Hendrix, Gilmour, etc., associations clearly fetch a premium. I absolutely don't want to criticize NS as a person or player at all, but personally I don't really see him in the same league as the aforementioned sorts of people in terms of financial value of association. (I do think NS probably was the greatest investor in vintage I've ever seen as he probably bought most of this stuff in the 1980s. I mean, there was hardly a dog in the bunch, and this is only 1/8th of what he is said to have.)

I'm hoping this thread is less about NS as a player or his sound than the economic questions I raise. Auctions are usually what establish value on illiquid items (such as vintage guitars where no two are alike in terms of condition, originality, Picasso paintings, etc.) and I really want to know, e.g., if the 1953 Telecaster in the previous thread selling for ~$65,000 means that these guitars have gone up in value (I always thought a good blackguard Tele was max a $50,000 instrument).

Here is the article: https://www.guitarworld.com/news/neal-schon-guitar-auction-results

2. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

Interesting to see how the auction turned out. I guess the only thing that I would offer is that even though many would not view NS in the same league as Lennon, Hendrix, Gilmore, etc, there are those of a certain age that do, or at least grant him some status as an artist or guitarist of note. No doubt his association with these premium guitars was a factor in the auction.

3. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

What? I never knew the man is that much of a superstar. Must be because I live in Europe.

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

He has some funny videos on YT, where he shows us how to plat the hard parts. He seems kind of annoyed that he has to do it, it cracks me up.

5. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I like good guitarists just fine, so no intended negativity to follow. I was going to say that being owned by a star wouldn’t add value for me, and if they sign it, it would reduce value.
    However, on second thought… if I had the chance to buy a guitar owned and played by Frank Marino (of Mahogany Rush) I’d be interested at that 33% upcharge.
    Maybe a Squier? :)

6. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Holic

Did he play the ‘59 in Santana?

7. posttoastie

posttoastie Friend of Leo's

Any of his Fender amps for sale? I saw Journey before they hired Steve Perry and Johnathan Cain. I saw them at a smallish club the week the 2nd album came out. Neal had a wall of Fender amps with Solar System artwork painted on the fronts. It is to this day the LOUDest show I ever attended.

8. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I suppose it's up to the individual who has the cash to throw down. For me, I would never buy an instrument at a premium price just because some celeb owned it, nor would I expect anyone else to buy one of my guitars if I were a celeb, at a premium. However you have people who not only will buy them, they obviously do and they're willing to pay whatever it takes to own XYZ. Also keep in mind that what seems like a lot of money to you and me is chump change to the super rich i.e. 250K is like 2500 to those with the means ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.