NDG.. Axl Badwater 1216

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Kestrel, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Kestrel

Kestrel Tele-Afflicted

On the planet where the alphabet starts with "Z"
    Stopped by a local guitar shop in town a couple of days ago and picked up an interesting Les Paul copy. It's an Axl Badwater 1216. Bought it with a hardshell case for $200. I believe the retail price on these Asian imports are $299 without a case. Normally you get what you pay for, but I was really impressed with the feel and sound of this guitar. Off-white color in a distressed look with "antiqued" finish hardware and EMG designed Alnico pickups. Inexpensive, but it looks and feels like a much more expensive guitar and is a blast to play. Once in a while you really do find a "cheapie" that surprises you.

[​IMG]

2. Sarrkazztic

Sarrkazztic Tele-Meister

Are you a member of the fret.net? I know I seen that guitar earlier this week....very nice...I have a Gibson Les Paul and that AXL gives me GAS :)

3. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

Thats sweet, I was looking at the tele copy they have but I never pulled the trigger.

4. homerzeppelin

homerzeppelin Tele-Afflicted

Cool. I really like both your white one and the sunburst one.

5. Olympus

Olympus Tele-Meister

I owned the AXL Badwater SRO, strat copy in HSS configuration. The guitar looked really cool and the pickups sounded great. But it wouldn't stay in tune, the nut needed replaced, and the tuners were borderline junk in my opinion. I would have simply replaced the tuners but since they were aged/distressed like the rest of the hardward, I figured shiny new tuners would stick out like a turd in a punch bowl. I liked it for about the first couple months and when the novelty wore off, I sold it.

I hope you enjoy yours though.

6. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

That is very nice. I keep hearing great things about AXL. I was in GC yesterday and wanted to check it out, but I was already spending some money on something else!!

Congrats!

7. Kestrel

Kestrel Tele-Afflicted

On the planet where the alphabet starts with "Z"
    The nut on mine is plastic too, but the tuners aren't that bad and the guitar stays in tune surprisingly well. The pickups are what impressed me the most on this guitar.

8. Olympus

Olympus Tele-Meister

I think the biggest factor for tuning was the trem on mine. I ended up blocking it and the stability got better, but still not that great. I had probably 3 tuners that were rougher than a cob to turn. I distinctly remember that one of the tuners would be smooth until it would get to a certain point, then it would get real hard to turn. Once you got past that point, it would be smooth again until you got all the way back around.

But if your tuners are good, you'll probably have better stability. Especially with the tailpiece versus a trem.

You're right though, the pickups are very good. They have a lot of bite to them. Here's my old one...

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.