slack

Friend of Leo's
Out of curiousity,

What's the issue with the headstock shape on my guitar?

It ain't "certified." :twisted:

There's no issues with your headstock, nor the neck pocket fit.

That poster said "here's a link," but provided no link. Here's the link:

From the description:

"The guitar has a rosewood board neck with skunk-stripe (that usually only exists on one-piece maple necks) which is only available in this period."

Huh? If by "this period," they mean 1969 to now, then I guess so.

Btw, the nut on that guitar appears to have been oversprayed with tinted lacquer... You know, when someone oversprayed the headstock. Maybe. Just a thought. ;)

Big_Vig

TDPRI Member
Out of curiousity,

What's the issue with the headstock shape on my guitar?
I have bought new '68 and '69 Teles with much narrower headstocks, no bulbous, rounder top shape. I am old. With the gap at the pocket side, I wonder about that neck being original. None of this matters if you like the guitar, that's all that counts. But if you paid for an original vintage guitar you may want to check it out. It is easy to make a rubber date stamp, which none of mine had on the neck. You can Google '69 Fender guitar necks to compare.

slack

Friend of Leo's
I have bought new '68 and '69 Teles with much narrower headstocks, no bulbous, rounder top shape. I am old. With the gap at the pocket side, I wonder about that neck being original. None of this matters if you like the guitar, that's all that counts. But if you paid for an original vintage guitar you may want to check it out. It is easy to make a rubber date stamp, which none of mine had on the neck. You can Google '69 Fender guitar necks to compare.

There's nothing wrong with his headstock. If you want to try and illustrate that there is, go for it.

Anyone who's handled lots of 50s and 60s Teles knows that neck pocket gaps are more a sign of authenticity than not. In fact, show me two 54 Teles with anything remotely like a tight neck fit. Keep in mind, that unlike other makes, Fender necks were totally shaped and finished before being fitted to a body... Randomly... If the neck fit at all, it was screwed on. If there was any sanding, it was to the neck pocket, never the neck.

On that note... It's easy to rubber stamp? The stamps were on the rough shaped neck blanks, under the finish, typically months before the neck was completed and finished and assembled on a body.

The OPs neck is more legit than the one you linked to.

And it does matter. This is a repository of historical information. There have been disagreements, and different findings over decades, but.. Well, "You can Google '69 Fender guitar necks to compare." It will probably lead you back here; it will def lead you to oodles of pics taken by members of this forum.

Again, the OPs neck is fine. Totally legit, and refretted (good!). The neck on the guitar you referenced is legit, but with red flags.

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
you may want to check it out
I've owned a couple in my time (a '68 and a '69) and they definitely "checked out", as the guitar discussed here does seem to. Now, may there be something you might want to check out for further education about things Telly?

knopflerfan

Friend of Leo's
I was lucky enough to find one of my dream guitars - a rosewood board 1969 Telecaster - at a decent price.

Sounds and plays amazing and its even all-original except:

- Had a refret at one point
- Jack input has been replaced with a Les Paul style plate
- One of the tuning posts has been replaced with a brass one
- Missing ashtray and original case

Weighs in at 7.5 pounds. Even has a birdseye neck too with a medium C-type profile! Really thrilled by this guitar, and my first vintage guitar too (finally living up to my name on the tdpri-forum)

My question to you guys is now:

1) anyone know if this used to be a olympic white or a blond finish? It has obviously yellowed over time, so its hard to tell, but from the look of the grain it seems to be ash and therefore blond finish. What do tou guys reckon?

2) The neck date is feb.69. Given it's made so early in 1969 wouldnt it be without the skunk stripe?

3) There is a bit of a gap in the neck pocket. The neck is stable and all and I know this is an old guitar and everything, but is this an issue and does this call for a fix (maybe a shim)?

4) Would it make sense to restore it to its original state by installing a Tele-style jack input cup or is there a reason why some old Teles received this mod???

Congrats on your Tele - looks great!

1969 Tele

TDPRI Member
In early 69 there was the aforementioned transition back to 1-pc maple necks, and from cloth wiring to plastic wiring. Bridge pup wrap changes from white string to black (and wax potted)

Attachments

• IMG_20220918_111527.jpg
    IMG_20220918_111527.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 30