1969 Tele

TDPRI Member
@slack:

Thank you for the info. Can you tell from the attached photos if the bridge pickup is 68 spec or 69 spec?

I don't know for certain about the fifth hole in the neck pocket. Can you make out any fifth holes from the photos? Those photos are the only ones I have of the guitar disassembled.

slack

Friend of Leo's
@slack:

Thank you for the info. Can you tell from the attached photos if the bridge pickup is 68 spec or 69 spec?

I don't know for certain about the fifth hole in the neck pocket. Can you make out any fifth holes from the photos? Those photos are the only ones I have of the guitar disassembled.

There's not a clear shot of the bridge pup wrap, but one pic appears to show a glimpse of white string. If it's wrapped in white string, that would be appropriate for 68 or 69. If it's black wrapped, also appropriate for 69. If wax potted, that could be original or not. There's probably a date stamp on the bottom of the bobbin flatwork, under the baseplate (though maybe also under masking tape), but trying to read it is a PITA on an assembled guitar, and invasive (and if wax potted, it will compromise that "seal" between parts). If it looks right, I'd just assume it's original and be happy with it (unless you don't like how it sounds).

The dealer pulled the neck pup for some reason and placed it in the neck pocket, so I can't see whether or not there's a fifth hole or any inspection stamps typical of 69.

It does appear that the body has a date code stamp (under PG on top of finish) of 9th week of 1969. These stamps were common in 68 and 69.

1969 Tele

TDPRI Member
The aftermarket case it came with was crap (partially coming apart) and has even worn of the finish where the guitar has been sitting. (See photos)

I therefore purchased a Fender case for it to sleep in. Colour is navy blue and I think it looks pretty sweet.

Attachments

• IMG_20220904_185925.jpg
    IMG_20220904_185925.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20220905_160103_edit_854975617295578.jpg
    IMG_20220905_160103_edit_854975617295578.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20220905_155738.jpg
    IMG_20220905_155738.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 95

Derrick

TDPRI Member
Thank you for the replies! Here are some dealer photos taken during disassembly.
The wires on the pickups doesn't look original to me... they should be two separate PVC coated stranded wires, not one brown wire which I assume is a shielded cable. Are they possibly rewound or replacements? I would have to open mine to verify, but I don't think any 60s Fender pickups had a single shielded cable. Absolutely sweet guitar either way!! Blond, maple fretboard, and Bigsby... pretty rare features that rock.

1969 Tele

TDPRI Member
The wires on the pickups doesn't look original to me... they should be two separate PVC coated stranded wires, not one brown wire which I assume is a shielded cable. Are they possibly rewound or replacements? I would have to open mine to verify, but I don't think any 60s Fender pickups had a single shielded cable. Absolutely sweet guitar either way!! Blond, maple fretboard, and Bigsby... pretty rare features that rock.
Thanks man! The cable is not original, which was stated by the dealer, so I was aware of it. Dont know why it was replaced, but pickups and pots are original, as far as I know.

I dont know which bigsby and maple board, you're mentioning? Maybe Im misunderstanding you 😂

Derrick

TDPRI Member
Thanks man! The cable is not original, which was stated by the dealer, so I was aware of it. Dont know why it was replaced, but pickups and pots are original, as far as I know.

I dont know which bigsby and maple board, you're mentioning? Maybe Im misunderstanding you 😂
I'm saying that Bigsby Teles are somewhat rare to begin with... Blond finish Fenders are also rare. Maple fretboard Teles seem to be harder to come by than rosewood, but maybe not... You have a guitar with all three features.

Genadeloos

TDPRI Member
Hey man, I would not bother about the gap between the body and the neck.... that's very normal 👌

I own a totally original 1969 Telecaster 4 string bass Brother to your (rosewood board) 1969 Telecaster 6 string Sister and he has the same gap 😎

Keep it as is my man, every change you make will make it less worth....

Enjoy the hell out of it 😈

Attachments

• 1969 Telecaster bass with Ampeg - VOX LNT.jpg
    1969 Telecaster bass with Ampeg - VOX LNT.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 26

1969 Tele

TDPRI Member
The guitar is a non-bigsy guitar with a rosewood fretboard.
I'm saying that Bigsby Teles are somewhat rare to begin with... Blond finish Fenders are also rare. Maple fretboard Teles seem to be harder to come by than rosewood, but maybe not... You have a guitar with all three features.

1969 Tele

TDPRI Member
Thanks! Please post a picture of your Tele 👍
Hey man, I would not bother about the gap between the body and the neck.... that's very normal 👌

I own a totally original 1969 Telecaster 4 string bass Brother to your (rosewood board) 1969 Telecaster 6 string Sister and he has the same gap 😎

Keep it as is my man, every change you make will make it less worth....

Enjoy the hell out of it 😈

1969 Tele

TDPRI Member
There's not a clear shot of the bridge pup wrap, but one pic appears to show a glimpse of white string. If it's wrapped in white string, that would be appropriate for 68 or 69. If it's black wrapped, also appropriate for 69. If wax potted, that could be original or not. There's probably a date stamp on the bottom of the bobbin flatwork, under the baseplate (though maybe also under masking tape), but trying to read it is a PITA on an assembled guitar, and invasive (and if wax potted, it will compromise that "seal" between parts). If it looks right, I'd just assume it's original and be happy with it (unless you don't like how it sounds).

The dealer pulled the neck pup for some reason and placed it in the neck pocket, so I can't see whether or not there's a fifth hole or any inspection stamps typical of 69.

It does appear that the body has a date code stamp (under PG on top of finish) of 9th week of 1969. These stamps were common in 68 and 69.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

I have read somewhere here that the A.R. Douchossoir Tele bible states, that the body route disappeared in the summer of 69.

My guitar has no route, but the body stamp on my guitar reads 9th week of 69 (somewhere in March), so wouldnt it still have had the route??

Derrick

TDPRI Member
The guitar is a non-bigsy guitar with a rosewood fretboard.
Haha, sorry... I was replying to two different posts and confused the two. Also, I had late 60s blond with Bigsby in mind because that's what mine is ;) But my comment still stands minus the Bigsby. Blond is pretty rare, and maple fretboards are relatively harder to find than rosewood in that time.

skunqesh

Tele-Afflicted
4) Would it make sense to restore it to its original state by installing a Tele-style jack input cup or is there a reason why some old Teles received this mod???

Original tele jack cups often get loosey goosey after a few years and rattle around / create interference issues. Either the inner bracket clip got bent or wasn't set far enough back.

Stewmac probably has a tool just for this job, but I improvised a 'jack bracket adjuster/installer' using a socket, some washers and a hex bolt.
First remove the original (loose) bracket, & give it a little extra bend (~U shape), place onto bolt between the washers, then re-set by compressing the clip. The trick is to get positioned just a touch further back than it was originally. Too far in and it will pull out of position when tightened - too far forward and you'll still have a loose cup.

fwiw - Electro Sockets are excellent and easier to deal with, but I am known to take the path of most resistance lol

1662656460455.png

Big_Vig

TDPRI Member
Nice guitar, but I think there is an issue with the neck, the headstock shape and not fitting the pocket. Here is a link to a certified '69 to take a look at.

1662675896718.png

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I wouldn't mess with anything unless something breaks if I were you. No new holes, no mods, no parts etc. It's your guitar of course, so do what you want, but if you get a hankering for a humbucker or whatever, hanker it on a new guitar. There is probably no change you can do that won't make the value of your guitar depreciate more and the more wear you put on it, the less it will be worth. If you don't really care about the value of the thing, do what you want, but the real value of that object is its value as a collectors item, it's just another guitar as far as being a guitar goes, it's not special or magic.

I would definitely play it, but I don't think I'd play it too heavily, I mean I guess it has been refretted already so there's that, but it's a veneer fretboard isn't it, I don't think they can bear too many refrets.