1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ndeli55's FORMER 2015 GSM Challenge build "Pesado Cabronita"

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ndeli55, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Bagman67

Bagman67 Tele-Meister

Two likely reasons for you to get those ridges might be:

1. Your sled flexes in the middle so you aren't keeping the bit at the exact same altitude at all times, but because you're consistent in your attack, you get pretty regular results. This seems unlikely from the photos of your sled - looks pretty solid, what with the 3/4" plywood and the mdf rails, which brings us to:

2. The bottom of your sled may not be square/parallel to the surface you're planing - so your bit ever-so-slightly deviates from perfectly perpendicular to the surface you're planing.

IF a sanding block solves the issue, it may not be worthwhile to troubleshoot, but those seem likely culprits.

2. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I assumed the base was uneven. i fear my router base is canted. I have made two sleds now, both doing the same thing. and I have reconfigured the risers 3 times. and two setups are with different boards. I may need to rebuild the mounting platform and use plywood this time.

3. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

I did some more template work. I really need to get along on this neck, it just frightens me.

I am working on finishing the body template, complete with chamber routes. in order to figure out where I wanted things. I made a couple of templates to be used later. A tele bass control plate, and a super switch template. I then laid them were I wanted them, and used that as a starting point for where cavities are to go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then drilled appropriate sized holes at either end of each channel and connected the dots with a jigsaw. I will clean this up with straight boards, the router, and a flush cut bit later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

I was running out of light and time, so I decided to do go ahead and finish up the body template. I also sanded and finished the neck template, but I didn't leave enough length so I will have to transfer it to another sheet of mdf. No Big Deal. Here is the body template finished up and my method.

My method:

I'm lazy so I just stuck Carpet Tape to one side of the riser to my planer jig, lined up each side I wanted to cut, and ran it through the router table with a flush cut bit installed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to change the carpet tape intermittently or it could move, like it did in the big chamber. You can see were it got into the areas I didn't want to remove, and almost into the next chamber. So I just blew it out into the next chamber anyway. It seems to be a happy mistake, so I'll roll with it. Here is the result after a little sanding.[​IMG]

5. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

I'm working really slow today. I sized the fret board blank, sanded it smooth enough, and started a fret board jig. The pics will fly in, and I'll need not explain.

I got my flippy floppies!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Pho!
    [​IMG]

6. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

I made a jig, and away we go. The lighting in my garage is very poor. Very poor, indeed.

[​IMG]

after I had initially cut all of the fret slots in the jig, I pulled the fretboard out added the depth stop to the saw and finished up the slots. The 23rd fret looks horrid, and I got deep on one of the other meedly MEE frets. Once the fretboard is radiused and flush trimmed I think I'll be ok.

[​IMG]

and my first slotted fretboard!

[​IMG]

7. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

So, now I get to figure out how to repair the 21st fret. It won't hold a fret in

8. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

The method I've seen on the forum - which I've had to resort to once, is to fill the slot with CA and the sanding "dust" from your fret board, let it cure/set properly and then cut the slot again. The top of the set fret should cover the repair. You're doing really well - nice work.

9. HenryD

HenryD Tele-Meister

Yup, that should work.

Everything looks great so far man, even the pho! lol

10. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. The ca and dust method is what I had originally dreamed up. I'll most likely glue the tang in to be sure.

11. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the kind words. The pho was delicious all though it slowed my guit-fiddle work down. That is ok. Sunday is for resting

12. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

NEW PICKUP DAY!

This just came in today, and really made my night. I am really impressed with the factory packaging. Nearly overkill. Enjoy. I hope it is a bit of a tease. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was really stuck between these, and the Lindy Fralins. Of all the (numerous) clips I listened to, The antiquities had character and some balls, and the Fralins were sweet. Maybe too sweet. anyway, it looks right, and I am stoked.

13. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Looks just perfect. And one of the cool things about P90s is that it's super easy to magnet swap to alter or dial in their tonal character. Great choice.
    Rob

14. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

I hadn't really thought of that. These come all "Vintagy" pre-cracked bobbins, heavily rubbed cover, etc. I think its cool, but it's weird to have something new already broken in.

15. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

oh nuthin' just fixing' stuff

Tonight I had time to repair my wide slots. I also transferred my neck template to a larger sheet of mdf, I need to add around 1.5" to the overall length for proper neck tenon length. I also rough cut the neck blank. I'll deal with correcting the nasty truss rod rout later.

First things first. I laid in some CA glue in the wide slots, and worked some reserved Wenge powder into them.

The problem!
    [​IMG]

too wide. Can i get a spacer for that?

The fix

[​IMG]

Rub some dirt on it. I used the mdf to force the crud into the slot.

[​IMG]

Wet it down. This thin CA goes everywhere.

[​IMG]

here it is after block sanding. I saw a few more wider than I like slots and addressed them too.

[​IMG]

I recut the slots, much more carefully this time, and added the 22nd fret. I don't know what I was thinking leaving it off :oops:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is the neck rough cut to shape.

[​IMG]

And the ugly BS I must fix. I do not like these stew mac truss rods.

[​IMG]

And a pile of stuff accomplished tonight.

[​IMG]

16. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

So that's how real pickups are packaged! Mine usually come in a plastic bag, in the middle of a ball of bubble wrap, with about 10 layers of packing tape around that!

17. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

That is a very nice fix on the fretboard. Once radiused it will be even better. Also when installed the fret itself will cover most of the old cut. One of the things CA glue does is to get much darker than the original wood. I am not sure why this is but can really be a problem when trying to fix a glue line that is visible.....Not to be used for that! I have had good luck using JB Weld with a little of of the sanded dust mixed in. It does not turn so dark and to my experience blends much better after a little sanding.
    Wade

18. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

What flavor of jb weld? I know of the plastic filler kind that is white, and the metal putty, that is very charcoal grey.

19. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

who's have you been getting? I used to buy GFS exclusively, I guess I've outgrown that. I removed all limits on this build, as I hope this becomes what COULD BE my one guitar.

n+1 man, n+1

20. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Looking really good, love that fret board, nice fix btw.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.