NCOD!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mexicanyella, Jan 13, 2020.

1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

Magnus Chord Organ, y’all!

9938146A-DB96-4BAB-BE84-9C2AD0C34F05.jpeg This plastic fantastic beauty was an $11 purchase at a kind of surreal flea market/antique store near me.

It said to me, “If you buy me your future home recording efforts will really swing.”

It’s basically a toy organ from the late sixties, and sounds like a combination of a leaky accordion, a plastic harmonica and an electric blower. Inside the swirly tan plastic case is in fact an electric blower blowing through a big plastic harmonica like reed thing. There were also some really old yellowed bingo cards and a info card about some kind of shore bird related to sandpipers.

I had to straighten out the rubber strip that seals the plastic key ends to the reed/note holes, because it was crooked and whenever the blower was on, it sounded a sustained chord I’m going to call X-15th. Works fine now though, and sits nicely on top of my amp. Time to start getting my chord organ chops together. Fake accordion, bandoneon and concertina sounds are almost within my grasp...

2. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had one of those when I was a kid.

BramptonRob1958 likes this.
  3. mexicanyella

I just turned 51, and the few people I’ve told about it seemed kind of horrified at how tickled I am with it.

I’ll show them...

televillian and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I had a larger one of those when I was a kid...my folks never get rid of anything...I wonder where it is?

5. mexicanyella

When I first saw it I went into a frenzy of online research, where I saw some of the company’s other models that had three octaves on the keyboard and more chord buttons. There might have been an even bigger one too, can’t remember.

6. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

My eldest Sis got one for X-mas when she was 7 or 8. She was over the moon... it was pretty darn Cool. Congrats!

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I actually have 2 of these. My wife had one like the one you posted in dark brown and the other is a larger free standing one with more keys.

Had to fix the little one. The impeller blades of the motor came loose and jammed it up. I had to glue them in place. They're made of thin Formica or similar material.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

My ma had one of these! I seem to recall it had a few more chord buttons though.

It used to drive me BATS**T that she couldn't maintain a steady tempo...

9. mexicanyella

I am having quite a time figuring out how to manage the mile-long key travel. The reeds don’t sound as immediately as hammers and strings would, and the note begins to sound partway down a given key’s travel. And if you bottom the key out, there’s a substantial plastic “clack” sound.

Got to set up my Dr. Rhythm or my Zoom and play to some beats. Maybe I can figure the technique out.

10. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I had one too. I remember some of the songs in the accompanying book. "Light My Fire" was not one of them. My first thought was sort of a wheezing sound and the whir of the fan. I did not learn to play the keyboard on this thing.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

My brother had one of those he would use for demolition and fires
    during the 16mm taping of his backyard movie "fire" by Crazy world of Arthur Brown.

Zepfan likes this.
  12. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I have a dark brown one. My first exposure to playing music. Blew my mind when I strummed an Am chord on my guitar and pressed the chord on the Magnus.

Zepfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.