1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NCD: Mojotone 2x10 cab for my BF Tremolux

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by RadioFM74, Oct 20, 2018.

1. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

New cab day! After searching high and low for an old BF Tremolux cab, and failing in my quest, I pulled the trigger on a repro cab. Transport costs to Europe make it a bit pricey, and I am still kicking myself for not seeing that there was an "aged grill cloth" option. But I am very pleased with the result. It sounds noticeably better than the old "home brew" cab did - really great actually - and I feel that my beloved 64 T-lux is now all set to give its best.

5b6c9ca9-584a-497c-a72d-8513ecc3ea84.jpg

whoanelly15, Lef T, jondanger and 3 others like this.
  2. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

Nice cab and Tremolux! I went the home build route because of shipping costs. Can you elaborate on the the differences? I may order a cabinet or try to find a vintage one. Did you do all the piggyback hardware too? I’d like that also. Post some side pics if you can. Looks great!

RadioFM74 likes this.
  3. RadioFM74

Hi @bryan83 – I went the full way and got the piggyback stuff. For me it’s essential to tilt the amp when I play, so I had no real alternatives. When I ordered everything all together with TubeAmpDoctor (Germany) they did not think of telling me that the hardware should have been mounted before tolexing, so my tech really cursed on this one :D

The sound differences are not easy to quantify yet. I’ve played at home so far, so volume never went beyond “4”. It seems more pleasant-sounding: the bottom end is wonderfully round and the treble is very present without ever getting shrill (it could become shrill with the old cab). Most noticeable when playing jazz with my archtop + DeArmond.

Tomorrow night it’s the first gig, so we’ll see how the baby fares with full band at stage volume! I’ll let you know, and post pics as soon as I have a moment!

NB: before doing this, I’ve lived happily with my amp in its “combo” cab (see picture below) and it still sounded fab. So it’s not a “must do absolutely” thing.

IMG_2792.jpg

4. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    The original piggyback setup by Fender does tilt back... mine is stock....

20160913_134955.jpg

LordByron, JustABluesGuy and bryan83 like this.
  5. RadioFM74

Yup. Did not mean to say it was an “addition” to the original recipe. I was just answering @bryan83 ’s question "Did you do all the piggyback hardware too?”

BTW – beautiful amp!

6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice!

RadioFM74 likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Nice. I bought a Mojo Blonde cab for a Blonde Tremolux years ago. It was very nicely done. There used to be aged grillcloth that matched pretty well available from Rogers Cabs but no longer.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  8. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Depending on how the grill cloth is mounted, you might consider just changing the cloth yourself. For my cab project I got a few feet or so of the "irregular" aged fender style grill cloth from mojotone for less than a third of the regular price. I can't tell if there is anything wrong with it visually or structurally to make it "irregular". Now, my own design and handiwork is far more a problem than the grill cloth itself. But that's another issue. :oops:

https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Grillcloth_x/Irregular-Aged-Black-White-Silver-Grill-Cloth-54W

9. RadioFM74

Hi @Whatizitman , I think it’s pinned to the baffle. I kicked myself when I saw it the first time but I don’t think I’ll do anything about it. It would be some expense to get that agend grill cloth over here in Europe and have it mounted (I would not do it myself). Or I could go the “dip in tea” route and have to have the cab disassembled and reassembled + risk ruining the grill cloth… Nah. I had my first gig with the new cab yesterday: it sounded great and I thought it also looked very good with its silver & tan. The silver will age eventually :D

IMG_5980.jpg

JustABluesGuy and Whatizitman like this.
  10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Give it 20+ years of playing in clubs, and it should be fine. :cool:

RadioFM74 likes this.
  11. RadioFM74

Zat ze plan! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.