1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NCD: 1X12

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Jupiter, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

After months of dreaming, scheming and ordering parts, and weeks of building, cursing and fixing mistakes, I've finally finished a speaker cab to go with my Tweaker head.:D
    DSC_0028.jpg
    Built out of 18mm thick pine laminate (think 1X2s glued together and planed down to about 7/10ths of an inch thick), inside dimensions 50wx40hx30deep.
    DSC_0035.jpg
    It's a bit taller and wider than the tweaker 1X12 cab, a little smaller than a 65amps 1X12, and a bit deeper than both of them.
    DSC_0036.jpg
    The box is stained black and then covered with a couple coats of clear urethane varnish; the front and rear baffles were treated with "Dekorwachs", which is a brush on/wipe off wax (mostly carnauba). Celestion G12H30 inside. Glued and screwed joints.
    DSC_0040.jpg

It came out--pretty good. Looks nice from a distance, and I'm satisfied with the design, but if I did it again I'd spray it with flat black lacquer instead of staining and hand painting the varnish; that was a nightmare and you can't really see the grain as much as I'd hoped. I also would have measured the holes for the handle more carefully; it's off to the left by 5mm....:( I'm going to see how the finish wears for a while, and then I might plug the holes, re-drill, and depending on how it looks, I might just sand it down all the way and rattle-can it as I said.

As for the sound, I haven't been able to really open it up yet, and anyway I'm playing it through my first ever tube head, which I only listened to for a few minutes in GC back in July, so I don't have anything really to compare it to, but it sounds nice to me.;) It seems to like my Ibanez strat copy's single coils the best, but the tweaking has just begun.

Didn't save any money, but I used the best materials and fittings I could find, and I learned a lot; I could make a killer "next time I won't do that" thread....

I did quite a bit of reading here before and during the build, and asked several questions of people especially over the last couple of days, so thanks to all for input about wiring, etc.

2. jefcon1

jefcon1 Tele-Meister

Thanks for posting. I think it looks great. I'm looking at building something similar, except cheaper, for my Peavey Special 130.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks. You can definitely do it cheaper if you're smarter than me.;) I spent more on screws than you probably need to spend on wood; I overspent on the fancy leather handle, bought the wrong jack and had to buy another one, bought all kinds of tools, router bits, attachments, sandpaper and all that stuff, and most of all, I now think there are lots of cheaper speakers that would have served my purposes well enough. The Celestion is nice, but probably overkill for a player of my caliber. I might build another one some day (I'm thinking about a little 1X10 for practice/jamming), and I'm sure I could do it in half the time for half the money.

4. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

looks great with the Egnater head. nice job!

5. Stubarber

Stubarber Tele-Meister

It's always good to have tools left over. You won't have to go there ever again. Nice job.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.