NCBGD!!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by LGOberean, Aug 15, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I played a local seniors community this afternoon, as I do every Thursday. One of the residents there I've known for a decade, before he even took up residence there. We've sung together at several seniors communities over the years. Well, he and his wife are moving to Maryland, to be near family.

Today, as we said our goodbyes, he presented me with a gift. His nephew in Washington state makes CBGs, and he commissioned him to make one for me! :cool: I came home with it a little while ago, tuned it up to Open G, and played around for a bit. Then I decided to stop and take pics and share them.

This makes guitar #14 for me! However, it's not as extravagant as it sounds. In my defense, the guitar I received today was a gift, as I said. In fact, half of my "collection" of guitars (which has been accumulated over the course of 36 years) were gifts. So I'm not as extravagant about guitars as it might first appear on the surface of things.

Anyway, here it is...
    08-15-2019 - Chris White Cigar Box Guitar - 1.jpg 08-15-2019 - Chris White Cigar Box Guitar - 2.jpg 08-15-2019 - Chris White Cigar Box Guitar - 3.jpg

2. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman TDPRI Member

Congratulations! That looks like a fun instrument. I bet you get a lot of enjoyment playing for those folks. Looks like they do too!

LGOberean likes this.
  3. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Sounds like you have the kind of wealth that is worth far more than money. Great friends and family. Beautiful CGB. Congratulations.

Lake Placid Blue and LGOberean like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Sweet looking CBG. I have always thought one of those would be fun. I have been asked to play at the local rest home with another guitar player. It sounds very rewarding and I can tell how much you've enjoyed it. You are very inspiring. Enjoy playing some old blues on that 3 string.

BTW, what is the builder's name/company.

LGOberean likes this.
  5. LGOberean

Thanks, y'all. It's not a high quality instrument, but, hey! It's a CBG, after all. It does work well for some 3-string blues. My family roots go back to Mississippi, and I'll be back there again next month. This thing just feels right. It does those boxy, gritty, mournful tones so well. I just slip my Dunlop 215 glass slide on my pinky, and alternate between playing with my three fingers and the slide.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

how in the world do you get people to give you guitars??? do you just stand around and look sad, or what?

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Have you never seen Larry's picture? He looks like the lost hermit from Treasure Island.....people just take pity on him.;)
    JUST KIDDING LARRY!!!!!!

LGOberean likes this.
  8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i can grow a long white beard. i can stand on the porch with a guitar. i might not look as good as Larry, but i can look sad.

9. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

Beautiful, and a terrific story! Good for you, and congratulations!

LGOberean likes this.
  10. LGOberean

You ain't wrong, brother! My look is Uncle Si Robertson on a bad day! Cousin It, the later years! And if pity is what gets people to give me guitars, I have no problem milking it for all it's worth! :twisted:

See this face? How could you not want to give him a guitar to cheer him up?
    08-01-2019 - My Stetson with my old hatband - 1.jpg

OldDude2, thunderbyrd, djh22 and 3 others like this.
  11. LGOberean

Sorry, I meant to reply to this. The CBG builder is a man named Chris White. No "company," so far as I know. Like I said, he's in Washington state and he's the nephew of my friend Ed. And that's all I know. I've never met Chris. I don't know if he is doing this like a retirement income, or just as a hobby, or what.

And yes, it is indeed quite rewarding to play for seniors. I play at 8 different local seniors communities, 14 gigs a month. Truth be told, I enjoy these types of gigs more than paying gigs at restaurants, coffee shops, marinas, etc. At the latter type of venues, I can play more contemporary material, but as so often happens, the patrons of such establishments pay very little attention to you. You might as well be a flesh-covered radio. Such gigs as these I do for the money.

At seniors facilities, OTOH, they are engaged with the music. They clap, they sing along, they applaud. And it really brightens their day. Sometimes I can play quite a mix of genres and eras. Just today, for example, I did Cream's "Badge," and Clapton's version of "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out." And in the same gig, a medley of Merle Haggard hits, and stuff from the roaring '20s. I love these gigs.

12. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

very nice guitar OP.

LGOberean likes this.
  13. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats, Larry! Looks like pure fun. Like the builder's choice for tuners.
    Is this an acoustic type thing or is there a pickup under the bridge or whut? Gots to ask.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  14. LGOberean

Thanks. It is a whole lotta fun! No, it doesn't have a pickup, which is my only disappointment with it. But scruffy-lookin', pitiful ol' beggers like me can't be choosers. :oops::twisted:

Okay, I hesitate to do this, but here is a short video of me playing my new CBG. My wife and I were about to go out the door, and I prevailed upon her to shoot the video. So it was an unplanned, spur-of-the-moment thing, just making stuff up on the fly.

But first, a disclaimer. I am lousy at playing slide guitar. It's an awful lot of fun to do, but it can also just be an awful lot of awful, when I try to do it, anyway.

Okay, you've been warned. Proceed at your own discretion.

Oh, and the "percussion" you hear in the background is provided by Bella, our "Bocker Speagle" (Cocker Spaniel/Beagle mix), playing with a plastic bottle she swiped out of the recycle bin.

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Sounds like pure fun, Larry!

No apologies necessary, the cigar box sounds great and I enjoyed the playing. Thanks for posting the video.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  16. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Good on ya! Great story and I loved the playing.

LGOberean likes this.
  17. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

That sounds really great! Enjoy your new instrument. I always love instruments with a story.

LGOberean likes this.
  18. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I love your play set...you can truely do your own thing and have fun.

The seniors aren't checking their phones every ten minutes:confused:

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.