NBVAPD!

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by mexicanyella, Jan 22, 2020.

1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

A few days ago, the guitarist I play
    Bass with gave me a Behringer V-Amp Pro “that might have issues.” I took it home to play with and so far the only issue I see is that it doesn’t remember patch overwrites when switched off... maybe just needs a memory battery replacement.

Or not; I would use it as a manually-tweaked one-sound bass preamp anyway, and don’t mind just grabbing some knobs when I power it up.

I’ve been using a Zoom B-2 for this, as a cheap, tuner-and-compressor-equipped way to get a barely gritty Marshall Super Bass sound for rock P-bass. So far, the “BVAP” seems to have a similar Plexi emulation, but with a smoother compressor than the Zoom. The Zoom has better, more flexible EQ though.

Looking forward to exploring this thing with bass, guitar and lap steel. The plastic knobs and shafts feel delicate and it doesn’t seem as intuitive as the Zoom or the Pod 2.0 I’ve borrowed. But it seems to have some good sounds in it, and enough output to drive my power amp.

2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

Hey, all you readers out there in BVAP land, in response to all the requests for updates, here you go!

The V-amp Pro was missing its memory battery. Just an empty battery clip in there on the main board. I stuck a new CR2032 in there and all is well.

Popping the lid on the two-rackspace enclosure was kind of funny; there doesn’t look to be much in there! All the DSP seems to be on a tiny little board about the size of a garage door opener, which is dominated by a couple of large chips. Aside from a few small wire bundles, the reason for the enclosure size seems to be to allow space for the pots on the front and all the jacks on the back (XLR, 1/4”, SPDIF).

I don’t know how reliable it will be, but from a function standpoint it seems like a pretty cool unit. Pretty easy to operate after consulting the manual. The LED position markers on the knobs struck me as cheesy at first but they are actually pretty useful.

Seems kind of counterintuitive to me, but by accident I discovered that the JC120 emulation makes a big smooth sound with a P-bass plugged into.

I am going to pair it with an old Crown power amp I just got and run that combination as my bass rig for awhile.

mrmousey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.