1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NBSD

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by natec, Nov 16, 2020.

1. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Spotted a 12" Craftsman Bandsaw on craigslist for a decent price. After a quick once over, I decided to bring it home. This will be my first bandsaw (I've used them... just never owned one) and primary duty will be 2 or 3 telecaster bodies per year (not counting the ones I scrap while I learn).

I know its not a high end woodworker grade saw, but it does have a longer throat, height, and a larger motor than most that I see in the big box stores - plus I like keeping old tools out of the landfill.

I plan to watch several of the videos posted hear on initial setup before I try to cut anything. This has been and is a great site for reading up on tips and techniques.

IMG_20201115_142115_01.jpg

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I have that very same saw, another garage sale find. With a good setup and a good blade it has built many nice guitars. Once thing I don't like about mine is the rip fence, I'm in the process of buying and fitting different one - I'll let you know how it goes

natec likes this.
  3. Mistahbrock

Mistahbrock TDPRI Member

Wow what a beauty, it's one of my big dreams too :)

Be carefull with your fingers and limbs, those machines are wild
    and I would consult with a pro installing and setting it up.

All the best :)

natec likes this.
  4. natec

Thanks - I don't need one right away but will sooner or later. LMK how your quest goes.

5. natec

For sure! I have several neighbors and friends with carpentry experience. I'm going to take my time.

Mistahbrock likes this.
  6. gb Custom Shop

gb Custom Shop TDPRI Member

A good way to set up the band saw is to use the Alex Snodgrass method. There's a few good video demonstrations on YouTube that will help you get set up pretty quickly

tewiq and natec like this.
  7. Freeman Keller

Here is mine cutting a chambered tele body and a 3" scarf neck joint

IMG_4623.JPG IMG_4624.JPG

IMG_5893.JPG

I don't do any resawing but it will handle 3 or 4 inches nicely

natec likes this.
  8. natec

Update - I took some time earlier this week to review a number of setup videos (many posted on this forum) and get the saw setup. Also invited a few friends over with much more woodworking experience to double check my adjustments.

Below is my first attempt. I traced an outline from a mdf template, and went to work... The wood is from a floor joist (Douglas fir) that I found at a reclaimed lumber place locally for $13. After this photo was taken I started working on sanding those edges, its cleaning up nicely. Doug Front.jpg Doug Back.jpg

9. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I had the same saw!! Align the wheels, adjust the guides and get a good blade and you are good to go!!

I loved that I could go from 1/4" all the way up to 1/2" blades as well.

10. Freeman Keller

natec likes this.
  11. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Good find!!! I've had my 14" saw for 21 years and have found the Alex Snodgrass bandsaw set-up to be excellent. It used to work well before the initial Snodgrass procedure was done, and I have gone over it again since and it is just great to work with!!! I added a 6" riser block not long after I bought it, as I quite often resaw smallish logs and blocks of wood as I need it, and have a couple of different size blades with different tooth counts. Once the initial set-up is done, changing blade sizes does not seem to require much alteration apart from resetting the roller bearings on the blade back above and below the work table.

Keep the blades sharp and don't try to force it round too sharp a cut and you'll be wishing you had one years ago.

DC

natec likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.