NBD TRBX 174- cheap PJ shootout!

Call Me Al

Tele-Holic
I wanted a cheapo/beater basement PJ. Here’s what I tried…

Squier Affinity: perfectly acceptable, but after buying 2-3 of these for parts builds I just don’t seem to bond with these. Neck profile or balance maybe…

Squier VM short scale Jaguar: great bass! I just can’t seem to get down with shorties…

Ibanez TMB 100: had high hopes, I love the aesthetic, great reviews; drove an hour to GC to try 2 specimens. Neck finish was a bit rough/raw on both, and a bit beefier than my favorite J neck but pretty darn comfy. One had a sticky volume pot and loose strap button, and I got 5 minutes to test the preamp before the battery started going out on me; the other had the EQ knob completely detached from the plate and I couldn’t adjust it… all fine and fixable (I had figured on converting this to passive anyway)… but hanging on a strap it angled too low for my taste (nearly parallel to ground, where I like it closer to 45°.) That was a dealbreaker :(
:(
So, on to Yamaha…

BB234: great bass, similar neck to the 174, easy runner up… but $110 more, and I’m not nuts about the cowpoke aesthetic…

So it’s TRBX 174 FTW! Great balance, perfect passive PJ tone I wanted, love the 40mm nut and profile (feels beefier, yet measures similar front to back to my Jazz neck… maybe a U profile? IDK, but I like it!)

Enough Yakin’!
75507605-DAF2-432D-A00E-5C2AB87F0435.jpeg

Came with black coated rounds (DR black beauties?) and a *hint* of Axe body spray
:vomit:
:roflmao:

0DFB3001-0DE8-428F-8686-3F62F2DCFB0F.jpeg

lovey rosewood fretboard
:thumbsup:

ED5A6FB8-EF57-4E71-A36F-CF86DDA6A681.jpeg

The basement bunch
:cool:
😎
8024333F-71ED-449E-8C91-999A60368637.jpeg

Cheers!
:D

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
I wanted a cheapo/beater basement PJ. Here’s what I tried…

Squier Affinity: perfectly acceptable, but after buying 2-3 of these for parts builds I just don’t seem to bond with these. Neck profile or balance maybe…

Squier VM short scale Jaguar: great bass! I just can’t seem to get down with shorties…

Ibanez TMB 100: had high hopes, I love the aesthetic, great reviews; drove an hour to GC to try 2 specimens. Neck finish was a bit rough/raw on both, and a bit beefier than my favorite J neck but pretty darn comfy. One had a sticky volume pot and loose strap button, and I got 5 minutes to test the preamp before the battery started going out on me; the other had the EQ knob completely detached from the plate and I couldn’t adjust it… all fine and fixable (I had figured on converting this to passive anyway)… but hanging on a strap it angled too low for my taste (nearly parallel to ground, where I like it closer to 45°.) That was a dealbreaker :(
:(
So, on to Yamaha…

BB234: great bass, similar neck to the 174, easy runner up… but $110 more, and I’m not nuts about the cowpoke aesthetic…

So it’s TRBX 174 FTW! Great balance, perfect passive PJ tone I wanted, love the 40mm nut and profile (feels beefier, yet measures similar front to back to my Jazz neck… maybe a U profile? IDK, but I like it!)

Enough Yakin’!
75507605-DAF2-432D-A00E-5C2AB87F0435.jpeg

Came with black coated rounds (DR black beauties?) and a *hint* of Axe body spray
:vomit:
:roflmao:

0DFB3001-0DE8-428F-8686-3F62F2DCFB0F.jpeg

lovey rosewood fretboard
:thumbsup:

ED5A6FB8-EF57-4E71-A36F-CF86DDA6A681.jpeg

The basement bunch
:cool:
😎
8024333F-71ED-449E-8C91-999A60368637.jpeg

Cheers!
Looks like a real winner!! Very nice with those black tapes on!! And a full two-octave fretboard!!!
(Not that I would ever know what to do with that ;)

Call Me Al

Tele-Holic
Looks like a real winner!! Very nice with those black tapes on!! And a full two-octave fretboard!!!
(Not that I would ever know what to do with that ;)
Me neither, not a selling point in the slightest!

The strings are coated rounds of some kind, I am thinking DR. They sound and feel pretty darn good, I’m gonna rock them for a bit. 😁

Call Me Al

Tele-Holic
nice

one of those peaveys came up for sale locally and i thought about giving it a try. i like the color. how do u like that guitar?

how much did the bass run you?
For a cheap Chinese guitar, I like it a lot. Great neck, and balance on a strap is just perfect. Cheap electronics, but when I crank the tube amp it sounds good to me! 😎 Nice twang and crunch tones.

The full story and some sound clips.

I traded a cabinet for the bass, but I think they had it priced at $200