NBD: Squier CV 50s P Bass

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Picked this up from ProAudio Star “used” at a sale of $249. It came in what appeared to be a factory sealed box, fully wrapped like new. I have no idea why it was marked “used” unless it was a factory second.
it seems to be new with hang tag, sticker on the pickguard, etc. It has a little fret buzz but I can fix that.
The specs say it’s a slim C neck, and it may be slimmer than a typical P, but it’s not slim. I absolutely love the Telecaster style neck!
EF4181C3-620B-4497-9AE6-784860CCF785.jpeg

Call Me Al

Tele-Holic
Those are great basses! I thought the profile is a tad chunky, at least compared to the other CVs, but comfy and nicely finished. Hope you’re enjoying it!

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Those are great basses! I thought the profile is a tad chunky, at least compared to the other CVs, but comfy and nicely finished. Hope you’re enjoying it!
I am enjoying it. Heck, I haven't even bothered to fix the fret buzz yet. I can't hear it when it's amplified or played DI into my interface so no big whup! I might work on it this week. I did use a 3M sanding pad to remove some finish on the back of the neck. Feels much better now. I also changed the strings to flats.

Call Me Al

Tele-Holic
I am enjoying it. Heck, I haven't even bothered to fix the fret buzz yet. I can't hear it when it's amplified or played DI into my interface so no big whup! I might work on it this week. I did use a 3M sanding pad to remove some finish on the back of the neck. Feels much better now. I also changed the strings to flats.
Yeah if I can’t hear it through the amp I usually don’t mess with it. And I would have done the same to the neck! The hi gloss is my only complaint on those CVs, and it’s really just a personal preference, and an easy mod.

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
That's HOT. Let us now how you like the pup and through what amp and compressed or not.

My CV 70s Jazz sounds way better compressed. I have an MXR Bass Dyna Comp right now and have used the normal guitar Dyna Comp. My Mexi P I haven't found a compressor I like yet and I feel like the pups in there are already doing some compression.....

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Can you tell much of a difference in tone from any of your others done that way?

I can only compare the Squier 51 to my Players Precision via DI. I would say the Squier has less punch than the Player and, despite the lower output pickup, seems less smooth. I just compared them by using each for different takes of the same bass part (Robben Ford's cover of "Help the Poor"). No difference in the settings, DI into a Focusrite 2i2 with just a Keeley Compressor into the DI. In the mix there wasn't much difference but solo'd, the Player sounded better with more clarity.
I haven't owned a bass amp in over 10 years. Since I'm not really a bassist or gig, an amp doesn't make much sense. As I said, I just use it for recording so DI is totally fine for my ears.

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
oh snap, i almost bought a keeley but the dude sold me on the mxr bass dyba comp for bass. which does work well on my jazz bass and guitars. people cite the keeley as losing some low end for bass. that being said i think when u record, thats not a bad thing.

im not surprised about the sound description. is your player bass alnicos? i got an old mexi that is ceramic. but it sounds good.

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
I really like those CV 51 P-bass models. Was tempted to get one at $249, but already have a Mustang bass that's superb.

John Thigpen

Tele-Meister
I’ve always been curious about the tonal difference between the original P/Tele bass pickup and the later split P bass pickups. Lots of people say the P bass sound is their favorite, but which one? We’re these original pickups used by any famous bassists, or did they use the later P basses?

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
I’ve always been curious about the tonal difference between the original P/Tele bass pickup and the later split P bass pickups. Lots of people say the P bass sound is their favorite, but which one? We’re these original pickups used by any famous bassists, or did they use the later P basses?
I'll go out a limb and say the post 1957 split coil is what most people would be thinking of as the P Bass sound. To my ears, the single coil is a slightly edgier sound.

Single coil P Bass players? Dusty Hill for one, and also Sting.

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Just snagged a 60's P Bass from them for $200. It was an open box.

Flawless condition. Adjusted the truss rod and the saddles just slightly and it plays great.

I will say that the neck on the 60's is very guitar player friendly. Not the larger early 60's slab I've played before.

Have fun with yours, it looks great.