NBD Squier Affinity J

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by crumjack, Jun 23, 2016.

1. crumjack

crumjack TDPRI Member

Figured it was worth an $80 Craigslist flyer. I've never played but figure my other playing experience will get me going. Hoping it sounds better in GarageBand than a synth bass and my former tuba playing son takes an interest. [​IMG]

erratick and emisilly like this.
  2. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

That's identical to the one I bought my teenage son a few years ago. Got it used at GC for $60. I've owned plenty of basses, including quite a few Jazz basses and I can say the Affinity is a great sounding, easy to play instrument.

3. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

For sure it will sound better than a synth. I like the Squier basses, with a good setup they are gigable. They beat the first Korean P bass copy I started out on bass. On the dollar to bass ratio, I think your 80$ for an affinity will be an amazing bass bargain.

4. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

Also the black with white pickguard is classic!

5. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Happy New Bass Day!

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Can't beat the price and with a little bit of tweaking the Affinity Jazz is a very playable bass. Hell the pickups alone in my Jazz cost more than that entire bass did. LOL

7. crumjack

crumjack TDPRI Member

I've never done any pickup swapping or other guitar surgery so maybe that will be a fun winter project.

I know I can google but any thoughts or resources to check the action on this thing?

8. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

9. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Great find! I believe this has to be the "golden age" for great buys on decent musical instruments! Now if only more youngsters can put down their smart phones, and take advantage of it. I believe the world would be a whole better place.

10. soulman969

A pickup swap isn't all that difficult to do provided you can follow a simple wiring diagram, have the right tools, and some basic soldering skills. I'm not an electrician by far and yet I've done it a dozen time or more.

As far as the action goes the guide erratick linked for you will help with that but I lot of it is simple "feel" for how you like it. My basses have almost flat necks with very little relief and very low action but others who like a higher action to better "grip" the string may be put off by that. Pretty much like any guitar you do it in the way that feels best for you.

erratick likes this.
  11. crumjack

crumjack TDPRI Member

I did adjust the action to the specs but it just didn't work so I had to dial it back up. Feels better but it could be in my head. What you say reminds me of adjusting a bike saddle. There are some guidelines but whatever is comfortable for you wins the day.

soulman969 and erratick like this.
  12. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

Exactly. Like soulman, I'm a low relief on basses and low action guy. But just do what ever is good for you and your strings as long as the intonation is right and not much buzz. The thing I have to remember to do is measure the action and relief before I get started- that helps if you need to put it back. ;)

13. soulman969

Absolutely. The "feel" is a personal thing for each of us. I have to consider that if I'm playing 4 hour long sets of music in a club I don't want to be fighting high action all night long or my hands will be cramping up before the night is over. I typically play fingerstyle with a very light touch so I can get away with lower action and a softer "feel" than a player who uses a pick and plays much harder.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.