NBD - New Buffer Day

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by chillman, Aug 14, 2020.

1. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

After ten years of polishing guitars with foam pads on a drill or an orbital sander, I finally upgraded to the real deal. Just put it together today.

[​IMG]

An initial rake of the new buffing wheels is what produced that snowfall you see on the floor. No other way to get that in Florida in August.

As a test for my first time buffing on this thing, I used a tele body that I thought I was gonna have to refinish because of deep scratches I accidentally made in the clear coat, and to sand them out would have removed too much clear. Well the buffer made short work of it and now not only do I not need to refinish it, it's probably the shiniest finish I've ever produced. And I haven't even wiped the compound off yet.

[​IMG]

I have a few other projects ready or nearly ready to buff. I'll be sure to post my progress.

Censport, eallen, carpenter and 5 others like this.
  2. Larkins

Larkins Tele-Meister

If you haven’t already attached the plywood base to a wall stud, I would definitely recommend doing so. I used the same stewmac set up for a couple years before I finally did it and it made the buffer run as smooth as a Cadillac

3. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

It's bolted to the floor so it's not going anywhere. We'll see if it stays that way. I saw that Dan Erlewine has his lag bolted to studs too. I have more floor space than wall space.

4. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Excellent setup :)!!!

When I built my 14" buffer it really made a nice difference in the quality of my buffed finishes.

Mine is more or less patterned on the StewMac design; very similar to yours.

5. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

It's a good design. I priced out every piece of building my own and compared it to StewMac on a spreadsheet, then they had a sale that tipped the decision scales in their favor. Someone should tell them that if you add all the buffer components to your cart separately, it's $200 less than buying their kit which consists of the exact same stuff...

6. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great job! They know doubt make a difference over hand or orbital!

I found I was able to build mine for about $300 total. The most expensive item were the bluffs and especially the mounting flanges from stew!

As far as stew pricing the kit higher than the seperate parts, I noticed that a couple years ago as well. I am sure they know, and count on people not realizing it. While the SM name and quailty generally go together, 20180225_165711.jpg the name and the word "deal" seldom does.

old wrench likes this.
  7. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Eric's (@eallen ) buffer build was the spark that ignited my buffer build.

Same basic design and great buffing performance, but I built mine to fold back out of the way to conserve space -

IMG_0782.JPG

8. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I read the title as “new butler day” at first, and said, out loud, “reeeally?”

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.