1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NBD - New Buffer Day

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by chillman, Aug 14, 2020.

1. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

After ten years of polishing guitars with foam pads on a drill or an orbital sander, I finally upgraded to the real deal. Just put it together today.

[​IMG]

An initial rake of the new buffing wheels is what produced that snowfall you see on the floor. No other way to get that in Florida in August.

As a test for my first time buffing on this thing, I used a tele body that I thought I was gonna have to refinish because of deep scratches I accidentally made in the clear coat, and to sand them out would have removed too much clear. Well the buffer made short work of it and now not only do I not need to refinish it, it's probably the shiniest finish I've ever produced. And I haven't even wiped the compound off yet.

[​IMG]

I have a few other projects ready or nearly ready to buff. I'll be sure to post my progress.

Censport, eallen, carpenter and 5 others like this.
  2. Larkins

Larkins Tele-Meister

If you haven’t already attached the plywood base to a wall stud, I would definitely recommend doing so. I used the same stewmac set up for a couple years before I finally did it and it made the buffer run as smooth as a Cadillac

3. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

It's bolted to the floor so it's not going anywhere. We'll see if it stays that way. I saw that Dan Erlewine has his lag bolted to studs too. I have more floor space than wall space.

4. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Excellent setup :)!!!

When I built my 14" buffer it really made a nice difference in the quality of my buffed finishes.

Mine is more or less patterned on the StewMac design; very similar to yours.

5. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

It's a good design. I priced out every piece of building my own and compared it to StewMac on a spreadsheet, then they had a sale that tipped the decision scales in their favor. Someone should tell them that if you add all the buffer components to your cart separately, it's $200 less than buying their kit which consists of the exact same stuff...

6. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great job! They know doubt make a difference over hand or orbital!

I found I was able to build mine for about $300 total. The most expensive item were the bluffs and especially the mounting flanges from stew!

As far as stew pricing the kit higher than the seperate parts, I noticed that a couple years ago as well. I am sure they know, and count on people not realizing it. While the SM name and quailty generally go together, 20180225_165711.jpg the name and the word "deal" seldom does.

old wrench likes this.
  7. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Eric's (@eallen ) buffer build was the spark that ignited my buffer build.

Same basic design and great buffing performance, but I built mine to fold back out of the way to conserve space -

IMG_0782.JPG

8. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I read the title as “new butler day” at first, and said, out loud, “reeeally?”

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.