1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NBD - New Banjo Day

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by sir humphrey, Aug 9, 2014.

1. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Had an itch to buy a banjo for some time - just scratched it. Been driving the family insane by practicing rolls on a G chord all day. No volume knob on these fellas!

Attached Files:

2. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Well done: it's a headmelter getting used to the tuning with the top G string. But the banjo is a terrific instrument - if you need a good book, get Tony Trischka's books. Earl Scruggs is pretty useful also.

I find the banjo a beautiful instrument: and of course a lot of Telecaster chicken pickin' comes out of banjo technique.

3. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Cheers - I play a lot in open G on the guitar and use banjo rolls quite a bit in my playing, so I figured picking up the banjo would be relatively easy. So far, so wrong! It's a very different beast.

Will check out those books - thanks for the tip.

4. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

I thought I'd try banjo a few years back and thought I was doing pretty good after the first day or so.

But I sort of hit a brick wall and couldn't get beyond some the fairly basic stuff so I got frustrated with it and put it away.

I saw a banjo player recently who was playing the older clawhammer or frailing style and it really inspired me to try it again - as well as sounding great, it seemed to be something a bit more attainable than the Scruggs style I had been trying.

Here's a video showing what it sounds like for anyone unfamiliar with it and the second and third videos are a guy talking about how the banjo was much more popular before Earl Scruggs came along because he was so brilliant and everyone thought that was how you had to play it but, of course, hardly anyone could. He explains it better than me though.

5. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats, enjoy!

Aside from clawhammer/frailing, there are three main distinct styles within traditional bluegrass banjo playing - Scruggs, melodic, and single string; learning some standards from the repertoire in all three styles is a good overview and foundation for the traditional stuff.

I have several books, and the one I use the most is The Banjo Encyclopedia by Ross Nickerson. I would also recommend the double banded ProPik thumb and finger picks over Dunlop and generic picks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.