NBD (New Band Day)

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I just was offered and accepted a spot in a really good local band. When I showed up for the audition they said they had several candidates coming over during the next couple of weeks; I guess they were setting expectations. It was one of those rare auditions where you just feel like you've been playing together for years. As I was packing up they said something about the former guitar player and then said, "Don't get me wrong, we're good friends, he's just set in his ways." I said, "I played with a guy that I love to death, but sometimes I wanted to drag him out back and beat the every loving S**T out of him." They laughed and said, "That's how we feel about this guy." Point being we really jelled musically and personally.

Well, I got a call the same evening of the audition and they said if I want the position it's mine. They felt like we were such a good fit that they didn't need to hear anyone else. We talked for a while, I addressed a couple of minor concerns and I accepted the position.

They told me why they wanted me in the band, and I relay this not to brag, but kind of as a "lessons learned" for everyone out there auditioning. I didn't think I did anything special, but given the people I've met on Bandmix and Craigslist, I guess I did. They said they liked that I showed up on time, got right to business setting up, had actually learned all the songs and the signature licks (I even copped a couple of solos mostly note for note), had professional grade equipment, and generally conducted myself in a professional manner. I'm glad that I was mentored early in my career by professionals, so all of this is second nature, but I'm sad that these things are not a given.

Anyway, this is the second great gig I've gotten because I showed up on time, prepared, pro equipment, and fit my parts into what the band is already playing. I'm no virtuoso and if I can do it, anyone can.

Now get off my lawn and go learn those songs the RIGHT way!!!

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Agreed, it is amazing how people miss the little things.

When I used to do interviews I could usually tell in the first couple of minutes if the person was going to work out or not.
Thoughtfulness, punctuality, respect for person and honesty will carry you through a lot of life.

ricardo1912

Friend of Leo's
Well done, a new band that's a good fit is always fun. I had a similar situation when I joined my current band. The drummer, who I'd worked with before, suggested they audition me when their guitarist became long-term unwell. I learned some of their set list, listened to some of their gig recordings and went along expecting to play a few songs. Ended up playing all evening and, at the end, the guys went into a brief huddle then offered me the gig. Apparently they had a few other candidates they'd intended to see but didn't feel the need
Being timely and doing the homework plays off

Boris Von Teufel

TDPRI Member
Good on ya! That last bit about "I'm not a virtuoso" is the money quote. Not many bands ARE looking for a virtuoso unless they're a Dream Theater tribute. The best guys I've ever been fortunate enough to play with weren't virtuosos, they were listeners. Listen first to what the band is doing and then find your space. Put the right notes in the right spaces and leave some more space. Cool licks are much cooler when they only come up here & there rather than everywhere. Once you show off and play every lick you know in the first song, where do you go from there? Sounds like you've got the ideal combination of attitude, ability, & humility. Good luck & have fun with it.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Nicely done man. Virtuoso or no, I know you put in the work from your other posts, glad to hear you'll get to show off some chops. What type of music, if you don't mind saying?

teletail

Friend of Leo's
Nicely done man. Virtuoso or no, I know you put in the work from your other posts, glad to hear you'll get to show off some chops. What type of music, if you don't mind saying?
It’s a real variety, everything from early 60’s through early 80’s. Concentration on big hits that everyone knows and loves. There will be a couple of opportunities for double leads and playing horn parts on keyboard. The previous guitarist sang so I’ll be singing 3 or more songs a set too. Just a perfect fit.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
Just in case anyone's following this, not that I think I'm all that interesting, but this has been a dream gig. Everyone gets along, leaves their egos at the door, shows up prepared. My voice and the singers blend incredibly well and we've held several vocal practices since vocals are such a big part of the band. Can't wait for our first gig.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Always great to hear about someone being professional. And actually knowing how to get the job.

And thanks for the update. Sounds like things are going very well.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Just in case anyone's following this, not that I think I'm all that interesting, but this has been a dream gig. Everyone gets along, leaves their egos at the door, shows up prepared. My voice and the singers blend incredibly well and we've held several vocal practices since vocals are such a big part of the band. Can't wait for our first gig.

That's fantastic man! I guess I missed your original post, so I'll say it with your most recent update - Congradulations!!! It's always nice when it works out like this. The band I'm in, we're the same way. All of us are older, road experienced, people who left our egos at the door years and years ago ;) Today we're in the studio cutting original music and layin' tracks, and having a swell time together. Can't be happier with our situation, so I know exactly how you feel. Great!

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I just was offered and accepted a spot in a really good local band. When I showed up for the audition they said they had several candidates coming over during the next couple of weeks; I guess they were setting expectations. It was one of those rare auditions where you just feel like you've been playing together for years. As I was packing up they said something about the former guitar player and then said, "Don't get me wrong, we're good friends, he's just set in his ways." I said, "I played with a guy that I love to death, but sometimes I wanted to drag him out back and beat the every loving S**T out of him." They laughed and said, "That's how we feel about this guy." Point being we really jelled musically and personally.

Well, I got a call the same evening of the audition and they said if I want the position it's mine. They felt like we were such a good fit that they didn't need to hear anyone else. We talked for a while, I addressed a couple of minor concerns and I accepted the position.

They told me why they wanted me in the band, and I relay this not to brag, but kind of as a "lessons learned" for everyone out there auditioning. I didn't think I did anything special, but given the people I've met on Bandmix and Craigslist, I guess I did. They said they liked that I showed up on time, got right to business setting up, had actually learned all the songs and the signature licks (I even copped a couple of solos mostly note for note), had professional grade equipment, and generally conducted myself in a professional manner. I'm glad that I was mentored early in my career by professionals, so all of this is second nature, but I'm sad that these things are not a given.

Anyway, this is the second great gig I've gotten because I showed up on time, prepared, pro equipment, and fit my parts into what the band is already playing. I'm no virtuoso and if I can do it, anyone can.

Now get off my lawn and go learn those songs the RIGHT way!!!
Congrats!
Sounds to me like you went beyond Chemistry and went straight to Alchemy with those guys!
There is so much to be said about the Comfort Level between Musicians in a Band situation.
~ST

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
I can think of so many interviews I've heard with top national/international touring pros who related they never even audition for gigs, it's just referral from other pro's. The referral is all about personality/chemistry because at that level the things you understand are a given.

The one humorous story I heard about gear was Doyle Bramhall hired by Eric Clapton, again on referral. As the story goes at the first rehearsal Doyle showed up with his mothership pedalboard. Eric took one look and told him if that thing messes up one time it's out.