NBD: My first!

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Bruxist, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

My Christmas present from my wife and kids. Picked up New Years Day.

Found it on CL. 2004 MIM Fender Precision in Midnight Wine with bridge cover and pearl pickguard. Included hard shell case, gig bag (unused, it seems), original pickguard, Dunlop strap pins, & Levy's strap with Dunlop straplock. Strung with new flatwounds. $300

(sorry for the subpar picture)

Been playing guitar for 25 years, and have wanted a bass for much of that, so it is nice to finally get one. Now I need an amp...

2. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

Nice bass! I got into playing bass about four months ago. I hope you have as much fun playing yours as I have had playing mine.

I have a Squier Affinity J-bass that I picked up for $100. The only mod I've done on it so far is to put a white pearloid pickguard on it and that makes all the difference in the world to its looks.

I also put semi-flats on it; roundwounds were irritating my fretting fingers.

3. loopy reed

loopy reed Friend of Leo's

Very nice!

4. TelekineticBoss

TelekineticBoss Tele-Holic

Sweet bass! I got my first last year and while it's fun, it's not a tele.

5. Immo

Immo Tele-Holic

Looks gorgeous!
    I don't like rosewood P's too much, but Midnight Wine looks great with it, and the pearl pickguard is a really nice touch. Congrats!

6. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

I've played Bass on and off since I was 15 which is when I picked up a guitar finally had a chance this past Sunday to play bass with a band at a blues jam when the bass player needed a break. It's a lot of fun and teaches you how to play in the box and also a different kind of improvisation. I can't wait to do it again ! That's a sweet Bass by the way !! If you looking for a good quality bass amp without breaking the bank look into a Peavey . They sound good and not too pricey .

7. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Thanks, guys!

I don't know much about flats vs rounds on a bass -- is it about the same as on a guitar?

8. sk25

sk25 Tele-Meister

Very nice! Of course, I am a bit biased...I have one a couple years older in the same color. My favorite bass!

I think I'll keep my plain old non-pearloid pickguard and uncovered bridge, though ; )

9. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

They may both come off, but probably not until I need a string change.

10. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

You picked a good first one!

I've never used flats on a guitar but on a bass it will give it more of a dull thump with less sustain. Put a piece of foam under the bridge too and everything will be very staccato.

11. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Nice! My first was a squier P.

I love flats on a P bass. Best bass sound ever IMO. With a good EQ, you can still get a snappy upper register tone. But it's super easy to get thumpy and smooth "round" sounding bass tones.

12. BigDaveyTwinkle

BigDaveyTwinkle Tele-Meister

Well done, sir.

13. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Can't go wrong with a Fender P-Bass.

Thank you Leo!

I hope it serves you as well as mine has served me.

14. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Happy New Bass Day! Nice bass. :)

I love flats on a Precision bass. It rounds off the treble and puts the tone in a really nice place - think James Jamerson, Donald "Duck" Dunn or Steve Harris with Iron Maiden.

Pushing a piece of kitchen sponge right by the bridge puts it closer to upright territory. It's essential for old-school soul sounds (think Motown or Stax-Volt).

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Really nice bass. Congrats. I just started playing bass this year for recording purposes and have been borrowing one of my wife's. In fact, she doesn't know it yet, but while she was out of town last week, I officially adopted one of hers. It is a 30" short scale, so I think, eventually, I'll be looking for something like what you got there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.