NBD: Ibanez TMB100

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Hey all, after a lifetime of six-stringing it, a few years ago I bought a bass -- a Gretsch G2220 30" short scale (subject to much current controversy), which I love. I use it for recording. Only issue is I busted up the nerves in my strumming arm a year ago and since then playing anything without a forearm contour is painful. I ended up getting one of the Squier Mini Precision basses, which are cheap but nice 28.6" scale instruments. The Squier sounds pretty good, but it's almost too small for me. I can't quite get it to sit comfortably on my lap. So I recently went on the lookout for a short scale bass with contours but a more traditional sized body.

I was really curious about the Talman TMB30 from Ibanez, but have not been able to find one locally to try. Then this last weekend I came across this used TMB100 (full scale, but same Jaguar-type body shape as the TMB30)... for $150. Long story short, I couldn't resist the price. The offset body seems to "offset" some of the long reach to the nut end of the board, so it's not as intimidating feeling to me as a typical full-scale bass. It includes an active EQ, which I'm not fully sold on, but again, for the price I took the leap. If it doesn't work out I will sell it along or gift it to a friend.

After a few hours of playing time, my arms are a little sore, but I think more from using different muscles than I'm used to, not the nerve pain that I get from resting my forearm on a slab body. There's a little neck-dive, but I play mostly sitting so no biggie. The bass is way hotter than I'm used to, but with things at 50/50 on the balance and EQ knobs, I'm getting a nice thumpy vintage sounding bass tone, which is what I was after.

It's also an older model, in coral red, so I'm pretty sure this is a mahogany body and real rosewood board, for what it's worth. The guitar feels totally solid, with the fit and finish of a nice MIM Fender. For $150 I figured I couldn't go wrong -- so here she is (my first RED GUITAR!):

278741271_10217449170060348_2556477818628902138_n.jpg
278933495_10217449168660313_5366539227841135166_n.jpg

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I bought an Ibanez TMB 100 a few years ago and I think they are one of the best bargains ever. I like the traditional styling, the weight is good and I’ve grown to like the active electronics. It gives me more of everything. I just have to remember to unplug it from the amp when I’m finished so I don’t run the battery down. I like it more than a MIM Jazz I was playing-the Ibanez is lighter and sounds better. Lately I’ve been using a Jaguar Affinity H (32” scale) but I can’t find it in my heart to get rid of the Ibanez.
B872BC68-8D7D-4C0E-B81E-57518D084FFC.jpeg

srblue5

Tele-Holic
Very nice! Congrats (and a real looker in red)!
I have the TMB30 and although I usually use a Squier VI for my home recording projects, I love the Ibanez in live settings. As a guitarist first and foremost, I don’t feel like I’m fighting with the long scale

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Very nice! Congrats (and a real looker in red)!
I have the TMB30 and although I usually use a Squier VI for my home recording projects, I love the Ibanez in live settings. As a guitarist first and foremost, I don’t feel like I’m fighting with the long scale
Thank you! After forty years of six string, I've gone bass crazy! And that Bass VI has definitely been on my radar. Playing bass has shot my guitar creativity way up, it's made me think about songwriting and harmony/melody in brand new ways.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I really like how the body shape, pickguard shape and control plate shape look together on those. That’s a cool-looking instrument. Like the coral/tort combo too.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
Hey all, after a lifetime of six-stringing it, a few years ago I bought a bass -- a Gretsch G2220 30" short scale (subject to much current controversy), which I love. I use it for recording. Only issue is I busted up the nerves in my strumming arm a year ago and since then playing anything without a forearm contour is painful. I ended up getting one of the Squier Mini Precision basses, which are cheap but nice 28.6" scale instruments. The Squier sounds pretty good, but it's almost too small for me. I can't quite get it to sit comfortably on my lap. So I recently went on the lookout for a short scale bass with contours but a more traditional sized body.

I was really curious about the Talman TMB30 from Ibanez, but have not been able to find one locally to try. Then this last weekend I came across this used TMB100 (full scale, but same Jaguar-type body shape as the TMB30)... for $150. Long story short, I couldn't resist the price. The offset body seems to "offset" some of the long reach to the nut end of the board, so it's not as intimidating feeling to me as a typical full-scale bass. It includes an active EQ, which I'm not fully sold on, but again, for the price I took the leap. If it doesn't work out I will sell it along or gift it to a friend.

After a few hours of playing time, my arms are a little sore, but I think more from using different muscles than I'm used to, not the nerve pain that I get from resting my forearm on a slab body. There's a little neck-dive, but I play mostly sitting so no biggie. The bass is way hotter than I'm used to, but with things at 50/50 on the balance and EQ knobs, I'm getting a nice thumpy vintage sounding bass tone, which is what I was after.

It's also an older model, in coral red, so I'm pretty sure this is a mahogany body and real rosewood board, for what it's worth. The guitar feels totally solid, with the fit and finish of a nice MIM Fender. For $150 I figured I couldn't go wrong -- so here she is (my first RED GUITAR!):

View attachment 975611 View attachment 975612
oh, now that's a nice red!

I need to do a little nut and fretwork on mine, but I gigged it recently with no problems and think it's a great value

enjoy that beauty!

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
I really like how the body shape, pickguard shape and control plate shape look together on those. That’s a cool-looking instrument. Like the coral/tort combo too.
It's really nicely designed. I like that it's definitely Fender inspired, but it's not a straight cop. And as far as fit and finish, it feels as substantial as any nice MIM Fender. The neck is pretty substantial too. It's a real interesting model!
oh, now that's a nice red!

I need to do a little nut and fretwork on mine, but I gigged it recently with no problems and think it's a great value

enjoy that beauty!
I've always kind of eyed Fiesta Red guitars, that's my favorite red, but have never picked one up. Would be curious to see this Ibanez Coral Red up next to a freshly painted Fiesta to compare. I think they're probably pretty close? The Coral Red shifts a little in different lights, from a straight red to a more tomato soup color.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
yep, I think you're right

here's a '65 Fiesta Red Jaguar

your color looks pretty spot-on to me

Would be curious to see this Ibanez Coral Red up next to a freshly painted Fiesta to compare. I think they're probably pretty close? The Coral Red shifts a little in different lights, from a straight red to a more tomato soup color