1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NBD: G&L L-2000... Finally!

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Danomo, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

I ordered a G&L L-2000 back in late 1990, I gave a deposit... waited, and waited, then Leo passed in '91 and I STILL waited. In late '91 I went and asked for my deposit back (technically against store policy), they said the bass was about to be made (they'd been saying that for a year). Since they knew they could sell it easy, they gave me my deposit back. They even called me when it did come in and gave me first crack, but I had my Fender by then and passed.

2015... A second chance: A Tribute on Local CL, price too good to pass up. It's a '08 Tribute (Indonesia), 9.2 lbs, and makes my amp(s) roar. The neck is kind of a monster P shape (not my usual, my left thumb is a tad sore from playing it the last few days). Pretty clean, though I'm not loving the Ernie Ball strings on it, but the range of sounds is amazing.
    This is the first instrument I've bought on CL that was actually set up properly and had fairly new strings on it. It was kind of like buying it from myself.

Attached Files:

2. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Oh man, it's gorgeous. :cool: I also own a maple neck Tribute L-2000 -- my 5th G&L bass. :D I think the switching system on the L-2000 and ASAT basses is the best I've ever played. And you're right, they really growl and roar when you want them to. (If you like roundwounds, try a set of GHS Bass Boomers, they've always worked well for me.)

Congrats and have fun. CS

Attached Files:

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Color me green with envy.

[​IMG]

That's a very nice looking bass. I know there's one in my future. I can hear it calling to me now. Thud, thud......thud, thud.

4. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Inadvertent life lesson...

Thanks guys, I'm amazed I got it, it was posted last week, and it took me a few days to finally see it, at $250, I was surprised it was still available.

I do have some guilt though... the guy is purging because he has to sell his house for his divorce, and he was just laid off as well. He's selling off some nice gear at less than half street price. He's so out in the burbs, it's farmland all around. He'd already sold 7K (his prices) in equipment, and there were still another 30+ instruments there, along with amps, PA's, mic's, music books, and even comic books. I felt bad for him, because I can see how his collecting, and GAS got him there (honestly, it's probably not that difficult to fall in that deep in his situation). I kind of saw myself in him. It was erie, he even had a black lab mix named "CJ" (my lab mix that passed in Oct was "AJ"). The garbage smelled of beer empties, and there were more than a few less-than-half-full bottles on the bar. He was a bit emotionally detached, but he could spot my GAS from a mile away, and said I could come back anytime. I could completely stock a band for 3K at his prices, good thing I didn't bring more money.

I've been down about my own marital situation, but when I saw this guy with more stuff than me (I'd recently sold off 3/4 of my comics collection), and many of the same guitars that I've flipped over the last three years, things got a little scary. He was even wearing the same skull PJ bottoms I own. If I gave into drinking, and depression, I can see the fall wouldn't be far.

It was very therapeutic to see this when buying this bass.
    Even with the price at $250, as I was playing it, he said: "Make me an offer"... it kind of broke my heart. It was already a steal, I paid his price, and bought a MF Mono bass case copy, as well as a few music books. No haggling.

I was quite thrown off-kilter by the whole experience, and even now days later, I'm feeling better than I was just a week ago (and not because of the bass ;) )

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.