1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NBD - Fretless Rondo Uke Bass

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by nofrets, Nov 16, 2015.

1. nofrets

nofrets Tele-Meister

I've been GASing for a uke bass for a couple of years now, but just couldn't bring myself to pay the prices being asked for the 'name brands.' I went so far as to buy a junk baritone uke body and some Ashbory hardware last year to do a conversion, but never got around to it.

Well, about a month ago I emailed Rondo on a whim and asked if they were planning on carrying a fretless uke, and they said 'no, but we'll keep it in our request file.' Lo and behold, last week I get an email from them out of the blue that says they've gotten some in. So, like any self-respecting paragon of fiscal discipline, I pull the trigger.

A few days later, the Brown Truck of Happiness shows up and leaves me a tiny package. Within said tiny package is probably the most grin-inducing instrument I've every played. It's so dinky and light it feels like a toy, but I gotta say, it plays great, and sounds huge plugged in. Intonation is surprisingly good for such a short scale (and it's, um, fretless, so intonation is a somewhat loose term).

All told, I'd rate this one very high on the bang-for-the-buck scale. No real flaws - mechanical or cosmetic (there's no soundhole rosette, so you can see the raw edges of the top wood), it's fun and satisfying to play, loud enough unplugged for solo practice, small enough to set in the corner of your office for some lunchtime practice, and probably gig-worthy, unless you have gorillas for roadies.

Sorry, no pix, I don't have a good place to photograph mine at the moment, but you can check 'em out at Rondo's website.

Cheers,
    P

2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I hadn't been on their website for sometime & noticed them a few weeks ago...incredible prices, knowing the quality of the SX basses I have, these are a no brainer! What are the strings like, are they rubbery like the name brand ones? I first heard one being played a few summers ago, while approaching a trio. Initially I was fooled, not seeing a bassist, looking for pedals, but it was a uke bass! Amplified, they sound like a double bass, especially the fretless variants...congratulations!

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

No pics??
    [​IMG]

4. nofrets

nofrets Tele-Meister

Came with Aquila Thundergut strings on it - they're not rubbery like the Ashbory slicone ones, more like a hard plastic. I usually play flats or tapewounds on my basses, so they don't feel that odd to me. It really only took a few minutes to get used to it. My #1 bass is a surf green SX fretless Jazz - it plays so well, and was so cheap, it has a special place in my heart.

5. nofrets

nofrets Tele-Meister

Dude! I freakin' love Adventure Time! The first Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant episode prompted me to say to my spouse "no more Moorcock and mushroom binges for the writing staff!"

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

:cool:
    My wife hates it, because she can't see past the barf and fart jokes, but me and the kids are big fans.

But that's not the point! :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.