NBD Epiphone Allen Woody Bass..

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by JackL, Oct 24, 2018.

1. JackL

JackL Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I just bought a used Epiphone Allen Woody Bass.

I traded in a refinished Gibson EB0, that had seen better days.

I'm really happy with the Allen Woody Bass.

Has a good balance and the neck feels pretty good.

Had some points at Musician's Friend so I picked up a Hardshell case for $60.

Jack

Attached Files:

2. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cool, congrats.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool, congratulations!

4. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

cool bass..did not know he played..[​IMG]

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

I like the feel and neck of mine, but the p’up,is awfully nasal sounding. I really have to get creative with the amp EQ to get the tones I want, but it is fun to play. I saw recently that there was a “Royal Blue” edition.

6. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Holic

JackL, congrats! Your new Woody bass looks like it's in very good shape. Good luck with it.

As a bass player, this is one of the few I haven't played.

Marshman, if you don't like the sound you're presently getting, allow me to recommend this.

About a year ago, I bought a Boss GEB-7 bass EQ. This was one of the best things I've bought for bass. It's a 7 band graphic EQ, but it will make any bass sound exactly the way you want if you take a little time and experiment with it.

I've found that if I cut the low bass, and boost the mid bass, then experiment with the mids, it brings out the sound of any bass, passive or active much better than an onboard or amp EQ can.

$100, but it makes a very big difference. Empress makes a better one than the Boss, from what I've read, but it's $250.

All these years, and all my basses sound so much better. I can't recommend it enough.

Good luck.
    Mike ;)

7. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Those have caught my eye before. But I always thought the pickups were too close together, not allowing for much difference in sound between the two.

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I have always wondered about those myself. They have sort of a 'following'.
    As far as hollow goes I've only played a Gretsch bass and it was a joy.
    Good score.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife bought one, but over time it was deemed too heavy for her petite body. It was my favorite of all of her basses, so when she wanted a practice guitar amp, I traded straight across. It has been my goto bass for quite a few years now and love the tones. As mentioned above, the two pups are very close to each other, so it is somewhat constricted to be considered a versatile bass, but the chord sounds are to die for. Great for early 60s retro rock sounds. Enjoy.

10. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

I have one of those EQ pedals, it might be the first pedal I bought back in the late 80’s, and I remember it being a powerful tool, but decent power supplies were hard to come by and batteries were difficult to keep track of, so in the interest of simplifying my life, I parked it on a shelf...my regular gigging bass, a highly modified Ric 4001, is so eminently tweakeable from the guitar it makes it hard to justify bringing anything else. I have considered trying one of the Seymour Duncan “Ric Neck” p’ups that I love in the Woody to see how that goes.

11. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

Would love one of these in 30" or 32" scale

12. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Fairly sure they are 30” scale, if that helps you decide.

13. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Woody is a 30” scale. It seems to be very close in size and configuration to the Hofner Club bass. I’d like to give one a try at some point but I have a Gretsch Junior Jet that is more or less the same thing.

+1 on an EQ pedal. I have the MXR and it is very handy.

14. Old Smokey

Old Smokey TDPRI Member

I have pickup spacing like that on my Hofner and it works for me. I don't know how it is on the Woody, but on a Hofner the treble pickup is closer to the strings, so it has a different tone and picks up more attack/finger noise.

Also, even though the pickups are just a couple inches apart, I find the tonal difference to be similar to moving a microphone-- it might be a subtle difference, but sometimes that's all it takes to nail the sound you need.

15. Old Smokey

Old Smokey TDPRI Member

The Woody is semi-hollow, so it may be similar to the contemporary series Club bass, but the ignition and German Club basses are completely hollow and I don't think the sound would be similar at all.

16. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

For the purpose of expanding tonal possibilities, I run my Guild Starfires through these:

[​IMG]
    It's an older version of the one currently on the market, so can be found used pretty cheap. It's robustly built and is also a DI.

I split my signal between a 1X15 combo and a 1X10 with horn combo running a 4X8 ext. cab, each EQ-ed with its own dedicated pre-amp pedal. That way, if I feel like using distortion through the second combo, I can leave the first one completely clean so I don't start losing low frequencies.

Lehle Little Dual pedal splits the signal and isolates the halves into the two pre-amps from whence it continues on into the amps:

https://lehle.com/EN/Lehle-Little-Dual

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Bassman8 likes this.
  17. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Its resemblance to a Hofner Club Bass with "cavern" pickup spacing can't be a coincidence. As a semi-hollow it would match up tonally with the mid-level Hofners and is cheaper. So not a bad idea. I have a Junior Jet and it is great little guitar as well.

BTW, off topic, when Allen Woody died a fund was set up so his little daughter could afford college. Thanks to that she just graduated from Univ of New Hampshire this past month. This makes me feel good!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.