NBD! CS 51 pbass

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Fender-guy, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

I’ve actually had this for 4 months now. Picked it up for a good deal used on reverb. It’s a 2019 so it’s basically new. The neck was to big for the original owner, not a problem for me, bigger the better.

I’ve had one of these before but the 2013 CS 52 pbass in placid blue with the stock Duncan stacked humbucker. I loved that one and regretted letting it go.

This one I didn’t bond with at first. Just seemed way to bright. Swapped in the same Seymour Duncan stacked humbucker that came in the last one, still bright, pickup height, etc. Nothing would get rid of the harness.

So the stock pickup went back in and I was almost ready to trade it off. Then I decided to just fool with the tone control. I always run any pbass full volume/tone and adjust my amp. Not with this one.

This one I slightly roll back the volume and the tone rolled back from full clockwise about a quarter turn. Then it’s fat without the clacking highs. Just turn my volume on my amp up a bit with this one. If I want the extra mids to cut through, just turn the tone up.

I know simple fix but I usually set it and forget it type deal.
    E4B33AC7-E068-482A-AF74-23BC87928125.jpeg 267555A9-C232-4BC0-B6B6-82DD525AC89A.jpeg 6D8A877E-398B-47A8-AD2C-068E12C8F8B3.jpeg 2C65D9ED-4EBC-473A-B40A-C131F0E50F83.jpeg 820F9C2B-35EA-4BFD-8E6A-9924BE2379E2.jpeg 3039346F-8342-4D06-A7CF-3C08C6F98D0F.jpeg

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Oh! My!
    That’s a purdy bass

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

This reminds me of my page tele, I was just about to write off the pickups as not for me

Then I turned the amp up a bit and it made a huge difference

Are those saddles wood!?

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

My favorite electric bass design of all time!

Happy NBD!

brookdalebill and yojimbo like this.
  5. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Wow!!!
    That is a real beauty!! glad you found the “sweet spot” with the vol/tone- that’s what you (I, at least) have to do with the J-Bass single coils- roll volume and tone down a bit, than cautiously add to taste!
    I’m jealous! :D
    Ps- Wood saddles??? Really?? Had no idea!

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have the Fender Japan 51 P bass, looks just like that except for the tug bar.
    What are those saddles? Wood or composite?

7. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Hey thanks guys. I’ve always had vintage type fender basses and always ran the controls full. This one had me puzzled as to why it was a twang monster even with worn in flats. I obviously knew that rolling the tone back gets rid of it but also half my volume. Anyway it was sort of a brain fart, just turn the amp up! Anyway that’s why it took me months of different strings and amps, I so badly wanted to bond with this. Now it will be a keeper.

So I picked up this 50’s CRL switch for my broadcaster, the fibre is the same material as the saddles on this bass.
    29B24BE9-13E9-4AAA-A0B9-CB5AA0A32D45.jpeg

8. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow, nice score. Congrats!

9. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not much of a bass guy - I play it when I need to for recording - but that is a peach.

I know what you mean about volume and tone controls. I tend to just leave them on full and change settings on the amp. But even then I don't fiddle around much. I like to keep everything simple.

Simple is one thing, but I suppose it pays never to overlook the obvious . . .

Fender-guy likes this.
  10. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Yeah like I said I usually set it and forget it. I have a simple bass amp(yba300) and a simple bass. It was pretty obvious fix but just odd that I had pretty much the identical bass but a relic and always had my amp set flat and bass controls full on.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I ain’t jealous, dang it!

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  12. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have found it doesn't pay to flip things too quickly. Sometimes learning what a piece of equipment needs takes awhile. That is a sweet bass. So glad it worked out for you.

Fender-guy likes this.
  13. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful! Congrats

14. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I think I remember reading that these early style Fender basses (including these period correct reissues) usually have a cap in there that once removed, changes that drop in volume you get when adjusting the tone. Might try that? I could be wrong as it’s been a couple of years, but it’s a simple cap removal if I remember correctly.

As a bass player, I love that bass! I had a 68 Tele bass a couple years back and I wish I still had it.

68Telebass likes this.
  15. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Your are correct. The I was just going through old pics on my way phone. This one has a 0.1uf cap and the previous 51 pbass I had, had a 0.05uf cap. This new one has a much more significant drop in volume when rolling the tone in. Period correct so I’ll just turn the volume on the amp up.

68Telebass and erratick like this.
  16. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice!! Congratulations.

17. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ah now there goes a fine looking pair!

18. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Yeah I think it’s pretty cool that both are almost identical in colour. I love the grain on this bass also. It’s already starting to sink into the grain and checking happing from my forearm. 961BF51D-AB32-43CE-92A4-E5AD17BC8CAA.jpeg

19. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

Nice! Very true to the originals with the phenolic saddles and tug bar. It’s just screaming for a set of LaBella flats.

68Telebass likes this.
  20. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Oh yeah that’s the material, phenolic. Thank you. Also this bass loves to eat strings!

Stock are the fender 9050’s I believe. G strings came apart. So I figured I’ll try the Ti flats, loved the feel and tension but way to much midrange, maybe on a rosewood board. So they came off and I put on a set of La Bella deep talkin’ bass strings.

Cut/bent and clipped the ends to help prevent the string coming unwound. Installed them and what a difference! Just felt so good but after a month or so the G string developed a sizzle everywhere on the fretboard. The G string started to come apart!!

So on went a set of stock fender flatwounds. I actually like anyway and they have the right amount of midrange and fatness.

68Telebass likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.