1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NBD... and belated NBD

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Slow Reflexes, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

I could have sworn I posted this before. But I guess I didn't actually POST, I just thought about it.

A few months (ok, last year about this time) Robt57 was kind enough to hook me up with a very pretty Serotta frame that I intended to build up for a daily rider. Well, I ended up building it up and spent a lot more money on it than I meant to. But it sure rides nicer than my old Bianchi!

So... the wheels were my first big spend. I posted them when I got 'em back in March - as I mentioned then, they're shiny. I like 'em. Got 'em from Universal Cycles. If you want handbuilt custom wheels, they have a pretty unbeatable deal - pick the parts you want, add a $20 bill. I was going to just buy the parts and build them myself, but figured for $20 that would be foolish.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. Slow Reflexes

A buddy of mine who opened a bike shop a few blocks from me in March(ish) was kind enough to let me put the bike together there. I don't have any really decent pics of the build or the components. But this here's the final product in a not very good shot out in front of his shop.

Attached Files:

3. Slow Reflexes

Anyway - as I said, it rides very nicely. Serotta frame, 63cm, with a 61cm top tube. It's a bit more squirrely than I am used to, and the weight is balanced several inches forward from my previous bikes so it's not very easy to ride no-handed. You have to (well, I have to) sit bolt upright and commit entirely to it right off or it's just not gonna go straight. Leaning back helps even more.

Mostly Ultegra (crank, cassette, front derailleur and hub), some 105 (levers, rear derailleur and hub). Velocity Chukker rims, DT Swiss spokes/nips, Campy headset... and the stock saddle from my Bianchi (since it was the Brooks that was on the bike when it was stolen). I really don't like the saddle. The saddle sucks. I must replace the saddle.

Other than the saddle (which I really don't like)... I'm really stoked about this bike. I'm just sad that I didn't get it finished in time to actually get any riding done this summer. I'm also a little irritated with myself that I built the thing up and now I don't want to use it for a commuter because I don't want to get it all banged up.

Which brings me to the beater that I bought yesterday.

4. Slow Reflexes

So a couple weeks ago the buddy with the bike shop got a frame in that he said was "big." He slapped some components on it and stuck it in the used section, and although there was interest from several people who thought they were tall... none of them were as tall as they thought, apparently.

I went and looked at it - it was, in fact, tall. I sat on it, and it was actually big enough. I've never really had that happen before - it's always been "well, if I raise this and this and move this, I think it'll be okay." So I bought it. Brought it home yesterday, and I plan on it being my commuter ride.

It was a Sekai 2400 in its previous life. It's now a single-speed, 42/16, with crappy brakes and not a brand-name component on the thing aside from one of the (mismatched) wheels.

I think it's the tallest factory frame I've ever seen, actually. Just went and measured it - it's 67cm on the seat tube and 62cm on the top.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.