NBAD!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by johmica, Jun 21, 2021.

1. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

New bass amp day! Just got a great deal on a used Ampeg PF 500 with the 115 cab. Can't wait to warm it up later this evening!

IMG_20210621_152339464.jpg

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nice! I like how light those Ampeg heads are. I just had a NBAD too.

johmica likes this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Nice.
    I wanted the new Portaflex, but all I could afford at the time was the BA-108.:D

johmica likes this.
  4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Looking forward to a tone report. I’ve admired those PF500 heads like physical layout, the inclusion of a compressor that seemed to work well in a brief sit-down with one, and the fact that the head’s width is almost exactly the same as that of my bass cab, which is way narrower than the rack power amp I use with it. The form factor is tempting...

johmica likes this.
  5. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

Unfortunately, I'm not experienced enough to give you guys an informed review of the tone. You see, I just purchased my first bass a few weeks ago, so I'm in the process of learning the ropes now. Here's a couple of pictures of the bass:

IMG_20210610_185349746.jpg

IMG_20210610_185408970.jpg

I did a little bit of research prior to purchase. I'm a big fan of the "vintage" Stax Records/ Duck Dunn tone and style of playing, and I was looking for an amp that would let me approximate those tones. The aesthetics of the amp and cabinet design are nice, too. When I found the set slightly used and warrantied for under $500, it was a no-brainer.

I've been watching YouTube videos all evening, learning about the tone controls and how to dial in the sounds that I'm chasing.

As an aside, I've played guitar for 30+ years, and when I decided recently to learn bass, I never anticipated that hand strength would be an issue. But my fretting hand wears out so quickly!

brookdalebill and MickM like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

johmica likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.