NBAD: New Bad Amp Day

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tenderfoot, Jul 23, 2021.

1. MrWiggly

MrWiggly TDPRI Member

Well, it was shipping in that the tubes were removed for shipping. Had they not been removed the amp likely would have arrived just fine and fully operable. Shipping is normally only rough on an improperly packed amp. Indeed there are instances where the major carriers have caused damaged by improper handling resulting in things like transformers being knocked out of place or speakers damaged. But that is pretty rare. Every amp I buy new I save the manufacturer's packing material and box for the day down the road when I might flip the amp. Never, ever had a problem with factory provided boxes and packing material. But homemade boxes for shipping have resulted in frequent problems. I used to remove tubes for shipping but stopped when I realized those were the only instances where I had problems. Never had a tube properly installed get damaged in shipping an amp.

Of course that's just my experience. And as no major manufacturer removes tubes for shipping it is obvious it is not a good practice from their standpoint. But I can see how small boutique builders who can't afford engineered custom packing materials and boxes could easily have problems. That's why a lot of retailers won't ship used amps anymore.

Tenderfoot likes this.
  2. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Princeton reverb chassis in a Delux reverb combo cab. Your done and that speaker, 12", will sound better than in a PR cab, call it a Delux Princeton Reverb. I have a designated cabinet with a 12" Celestion Gold. You should hear what that sounds like, whew.

Tenderfoot likes this.
  3. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I built an Allen Accomplice and ordered it with two 10" speakers. Horrible. When I connected it to my Deluxe with a single 12" in it, the magic happened!

I just don't like 10's.

Tenderfoot likes this.
  4. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have never figured out the removing tubes to ship an amp. It just always seemed like a way to increase problems. I have never heard of installed tubes falling out.

MrWiggly and Tenderfoot like this.
  5. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

It looks really good

Tenderfoot likes this.
  6. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the comment Telenator. This amp has a 12" Celestion G12-65 speaker.

7. Tenderfoot

Some good points, Mr.Wiggly.

8. Tenderfoot

Thanks for the encouragement Rockinvet.

Rockinvet likes this.
  9. Tenderfoot

Update: July 29, 2021

Replacement amp came in today in a Fender factory sealed shipping box. All is now AOK:)

Thanks to to all who read and/or posted.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.