1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Natural remedy against fungus in washing stand

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tornado, Jan 18, 2021.

  1. Tornado

    Tornado Tele-Meister

    Age:
    46
    Posts:
    361
    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2016
    Location:
    Amsterdam
    High guys,

    I afraid I have a fungus problem in the ceramic washing stand in the bathroom. It sits around the drain plug of the washing stand. Are there ways to fix that with natural not chemical cleaning stuff that is not aggressive and irritating to the eyes and lungs?

    Cheers
     
  2. catdaddy

    catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

    Posts:
    1,403
    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    Location:
    backroads of Florida
    If the problem is mold then spraying either vinegar (acetic acid) or lemon juice (citric acid) onto the problem area should help. The acid in either one of those liquids should help to stop the growth. Be sure to let the liquid soak into the area thoroughly.
     
  3. archetype

    archetype Fiend of Leo's

    Posts:
    5,471
    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2005
    Location:
    Williamsville NY
    I can't think of anything that's strong enough to kill the fungus, but not be agressive and irritating.

    Liquid laundry bleach will do the job. If that would be irritating to your eyes and lungs, perhaps you can have someone else apply it for you while you're out of the house.
     
  4. Musekatcher

    Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

    Posts:
    3,614
    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2013
    Location:
    meridianam altum centralis
    Bleach has been used for a very long time, safely, for mold and fungus control. Read, dilute it, wear some PPE if you don't have means for ventilation.
     
  5. Tornado

    Tornado Tele-Meister

    Age:
    46
    Posts:
    361
    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2016
    Location:
    Amsterdam
    Yes mold is the problem, english is not my native language. I have heard about tea tree oil. Anyone tried that to kill the mold? That is very natural. And vinegar stops the grows but doesn't seem to kill the mold I understand ?
     
  6. koen

    koen Friend of Leo's

    Posts:
    3,797
    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Location:
    Home
    Try more concentrated vinegar (30% or so). Stay away from bleach, it’s poison and very bad for the environment.
     
  7. blue metalflake

    blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

    Age:
    67
    Posts:
    12,747
    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2005
    Location:
    ireland
    Lemon juice may be worth a try
     
  8. charlie chitlin

    charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

    Age:
    59
    Posts:
    16,243
    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2003
    Location:
    Kimberton
    Tea tree oil is anti-fungal.
    I've never used it to clean.
     
  9. glenlivet

    glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

    Posts:
    1,182
    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2018
    Location:
    Marco.......Polo......
    White vinegar, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide will all work.

    Spray area with white vinegar, let sit for 1/2 hour. Scrub/rinse.

    I then use a mixture of blue Dawn dish soap, and vinegar mixed (equal parts and heated in a microwave) in a spray bottle.

    Spray area a 2nd time. Wait 15-20 min. Scrub again.

    Let area dry thoroughly.


    If you have a very tough spot the won't come clean you *can* use a combination of baking soda and a small amount of bleach to make a paste. This paste works well on scrubbing grout and such.

    DO NOT USE VINEGAR AND THE BLEACH PASTE ON THE SAME DAY --- the fumes given off by the combination can be very very bad.
     
  10. stormsedge

    stormsedge Friend of Leo's

    Posts:
    3,914
    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2012
    Location:
    E. Tennessee, USA
    deleted...nothing to see here
     
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  11. Peegoo

    Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

    Posts:
    7,093
    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2019
    Location:
    Between the Raindrops
    UV-A ("black light") won't work, but UV-B sure will.

    And UV-B sure will cause burns to the skin and eyes. It will do permanent damage. UV-B is not safe to use in areas occupied by people, animals and plants.
     
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    stormsedge likes this.
  12. stormsedge

    stormsedge Friend of Leo's

    Posts:
    3,914
    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2012
    Location:
    E. Tennessee, USA
    Okay, bad idea then. Deleting!
     
    Peegoo likes this.
  13. Peegoo

    Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

    Posts:
    7,093
    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2019
    Location:
    Between the Raindrops
    Stormsedge, my post wasn't a flame...just a public safety message :) No offense intended.
     
    stormsedge likes this.
  14. drumtime

    drumtime Tele-Holic

    Age:
    69
    Posts:
    907
    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2018
    Location:
    the mountains of Virginia
    Also, bleach and ammonia together create a poisonous gas, so don't do that.

    Vinegar - higher concentrate if you can get it -- is very good. Then, dry the sink after each time you use it. Only takes a couple of seconds, and deprives the mold of the moisture it needs.
     
  15. stormsedge

    stormsedge Friend of Leo's

    Posts:
    3,914
    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2012
    Location:
    E. Tennessee, USA
    None taken! Glad you knew the ins and outs. Thanks!:)
     
    Peegoo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.