1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Natural feedback

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by naveed211, Apr 17, 2021.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Is achieving natural feedback more dependent on the guitar or the amp in the equation?

Is it more that it’s a resonant guitar, or does the amp have to give out something in particular (other than just hitting a certain volume and be in proximity of the guitar)?

There’s been some guitar/amp combinations over the years where it seemed I could never get natural feedback to happen. Then yesterday I got my lowly Marshal Valvestate up to a decent volume and it was feeding back with my Tele in the most beautiful way.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Proximity of your pickup to the speaker too. I dip my guitar in front of Amp once in awhile just for the fun of it.

3. this_grackle

this_grackle TDPRI Member

I don’t have answers... it’s magic. High gain is a good start. I’d heard once that multiple speakers helps. I had one song in my old band that I’d have specifically timed feedback, and I always seemed to make it work... I think I just did the guitar in front of the amp trick, too.

4. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

My hollow-body Gretsch feeds back MUCH more readily than my solid-body Squier. I believe Chet designed some of the Gretsch guitars without f-holes to prevent feedback. Just painted on the f-holes.

5. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I can’t explain it, no rhyme or reason. In the past it seemed I could only get it with a bassier neck humbucker. And yeah, usually higher gain, but yesterday I just had one light to medium overdrive on with a normal output bridge single coil and it was singing forever.

this_grackle likes this.
  6. Telecaster1954

Telecaster1954 TDPRI Member

Perhaps not what you're meaning but a good way to waste an hour Saturday morning.

7. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

Resonance has something to do with it (think hollow body vs solid), but it’s a combination of factors... gain, pickup output, placement of the guitar with respect to the amp. One thing for sure is that it typically requires pushing a fair amount of air.

8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The room matters too. Some rooms are great for it, and others are pretty dead.

When playing live, I would touch the headstock to the front of the speaker cab to get instant feedback and infinite sustain. That direct coupling made it work every time. The trick is to have the front of the guitar on the same plane (or close to the same plane) as the speaker baffle; that means facing the audience or having your back to them.

Try it. It works even at lower volumes, with any electric guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.