1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Natural Basswood

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Wamba, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Wamba

Wamba TDPRI Member

I have a G&L ASAT Tribute, black poly finish over basswood. I'm considering removing the poly. What might the underlying basswood look like? Something like this?

[​IMG]

2. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Basswood is in my experience, very white, plain, unfigured wood. Almost waxy if that makes sense... my only experience is my mij 60s reissue strat, which is candy apple red over basswood. I chiseled out the pickup route(more or less butchered) There was next to zero perceptible grain, definitely nothing anyone would consider figuring.

**edit**
    However, a quick google image search has turned up a lot of variation with the grain pattern in basswood. Some matching my very vanilla experience, others with simple but beautiful grain patterns. So... I’d say it’s a crapshoot... if you strip the current finish, and have a really nice piece of basswood, great! If not, you can refinish it in a color more to your liking!

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Expect it to look very plain with multiple pieces of wood glued together with no thought given to grain matching.

I_build_my_own likes this.
  4. Wamba

Wamba TDPRI Member

Oh, come! You mean to tell me there is not a AAAA Basswood body under all that poly?

Piggy Stu and I_build_my_own like this.
  5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

That looks like mahogany. Unfinished Basswood is white...kind of like a popsicle stick. Basswood has no real grain to it unless you put some oil on it. The oil brings the grain out somewhat and gives it a yellowish tint.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bas...AUICygC&biw=1260&bih=619#imgrc=TO9jVBP5sRWMVM:

6. Wamba

Wamba TDPRI Member

So, there is a reason why they generally paint basswood?

Ok, ok... I can take a hint.

:p

7. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

I would still do it. See what's under the thick poly. If you like what you see, give it a very light hand of stain/dye just to kill that anemic pale look, and then and do an oil finish. If you find a multiple piece of mismatched grain running in all kinds of direction (very likely, as mentioned above), pick a nice opaque color from Reranch and give it a thin nitro finish.

Many threads related to this topic on the Finely Finished section.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/finishing-basswood-body-dying-tung-oil.306119/

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  8. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Basswood can vary greatly, but is usually pretty bland.

However, black is often boring. You could always strip it and add a veneer to the top, if you feel ambitious.

9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't. Basswood is like slightlly harder balsawood. The poly is also giving the surface some toughness. It can be white with green mineral streaks. The poly also probably won't strip off cleanly and you'll have to heavily sand it .

Wamba likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.